May 1, 2013

Portland man denies creating police standoff

Kyle Upton, whose bail is set at $10,000, also faces four criminal charges in connection with Monday's incident on Alder Street.

By Scott Dolan
Staff Writer

PORTLAND — A Portland man accused of causing a tense police standoff in the city's Bayside neighborhood earlier this week was asleep when police arrived and awoke to find his house surrounded by heavily armed officers, his attorney said in court Wednesday.

click image to enlarge

Kyle Upton, who is charged with causing an armed standoff with police in Portland's Bayside neighborhood, looks around the courtroom during his initial court appearance Wednesday at Cumberland County Unified Criminal Court in Portland.

Joel Page/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

A suspect surrenders – surrounded by Portland police and SWAT Team members – after a standoff on Alder Street in Portland on Monday evening.

John Ewing / Staff Photographer

Additional Photos Below

Kyle Upton, 28, stood in Cumberland County Unified Criminal Court with his attorney, Gary Prolman, and denied the civil charge against him of creating a police standoff.

Upton also faces four criminal charges -- domestic violence criminal threatening, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison, and three misdemeanors, domestic violence terrorizing, domestic violence assault and failure to sign a summons and complaint form to verify his identity.

Police said the standoff started around 3 p.m. Monday when officers went to an apartment building at 41 Alder St. to follow up on a woman's domestic violence report and Upton refused to leave the second-floor apartment.

A prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Tice, said in court Wednesday that Upton is accused of threatening to choke his girlfriend and of hitting her in the head with a gun.

"She was very, very afraid of him," Tice said.

In the statement the woman filed with police, she said that Upton had first told his male roommate to quiet her before he "grabbed (her) by the throat and shut (her) up." She also said in the statement transcribed by police that Upton then left the room and came back with a handgun that he tapped against her head and said, "You see this, you see this."

Police Chief Michael Sauschuck said Monday that the officers believed Upton was armed and retreated from the apartment building. Police shut down Alder Street between Portland and Kennebec streets, surrounded the apartment building and evacuated dozens of residents in the area from their homes.

Prolman said he was called to the scene of the police standoff and was there for hours trying to negotiate with police for Upton's peaceful surrender.

"I was privy to see this all these things," Prolman said in court. "We actually told police that he wanted to make sure that someone was there, like myself, and he was willing to surrender himself right then and there."

Prolman said police had gone to the apartment while Upton was asleep. The door was open and unlocked but the officer left rather than go inside, he said.

"When Mr. Upton awoke, he awoke to a SWAT team outside his house," he said.

Prolman said the woman had left the apartment about 24 hours before police arrived and that there was no evidence other than her word against Upton's of an assault.

"There was no gun found at the scene. There were no pictures of bruises or shirt ripped up," he said.

Prolman argued for bail to be set at $1,000 to allow Upton to be released and continue working at his full-time job.

Justice Nancy Mills instead set bail at the amount recommended by the prosecutor, $10,000 cash with conditions that Upton has no contact with the woman he is accused of assaulting and two other people, possesses no dangerous weapons and refrains from use of drugs and alcohol.

Tice had argued that Upton has a criminal history of violence in Massachusetts and that multiple protection from abuse orders had been filed against him by different women.

The judge also ordered Upton to abide by a curfew that would keep him at home from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. should he be released on bail.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Portland police and SWAT team members respond to a standoff at 41 Alder St. in Portland on Monday.

Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

SWAT team members make their way up Preble Street in Portland during a standoff on Alder Street on Monday.

Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer


Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)