April 21, 2013

Mass. gov: Video shows bomb suspect dodging blast

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says surveillance video from the Boston Marathon attack shows the suspect putting his backpack down and moving away in time to avoid being injured by the blast of the bomb inside it.

click image to enlarge

In this photograph made with a fisheye lens, people attend an interfaith service held near a makeshift memorial on Boylston Street, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Sunday.

AP

click image to enlarge

Annie Packard, 13, sings during Trinity Episcopal Church Sunday service at Temple Israel, which allowed the Trinity congregation to hold service in Boston. Trinity is within the blocked-off area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, where earlier in the week two bombs exploded. Packard was in the grandstands when the first bomb exploded and ran away in the direction of the second bomb, which went off 10 seconds later.

AP

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Speaking Sunday on NBC, Patrick said the video clearly puts 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack.

Patrick says the video is "pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly."

He says he hasn't viewed all the surveillance tapes but has been briefed by law enforcement about them.

Investigators have determined the bombs were fashioned from pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings.

The governor of Massachusetts said Sunday that he has no idea what motivated the brothers accused of exploding two bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Speaking on CBS' "Face the Nation," Patrick said it's hard to imagine why someone would deliberately harm "innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did."

Patrick also said law enforcers believe the immediate threat ended when police killed one suspect and captured the other. The two suspects, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, were brothers whose family had come to the U.S. from Russia.

On Saturday, Patrick appeared on the field at Fenway Park with dozens of local and state police before the Boston Red Sox's first home game since the bombings

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors


Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick speaks as Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis, middle, and FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard DesLauriers, far right, listen at a news conference in Boston Monday, April 15, 2013 regarding two bombs which exploded in the street near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing three people and injuring more than 130. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

AP

  


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)