May 22, 2013

Amid tears for Maine teen, an arrest

Police say Nichole Cable, 15, was killed by a 20-year-old Orono man, whom she may have dated at some point.

By David Hench
Staff Writer

ORONO – Since Mother's Day, hundreds of people in this close-knit rural community outside Bangor had been searching for 15-year-old Nichole Cable, fighting fear with the hope that the missing girl would eventually be found.

click image to enlarge

A poster asking for information about the disappearance of Nichole Cable is tacked to a memorial at the corner of her family's driveway and Route 221 in Glenburn on Tuesday, May 21, 2013. Cable's body was found Monday night in a wooded area in Old Town, and a 20-year-old Orono man has been charged with her murder.

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer

Kyle Dube in a June 2012 booking photo provided by the Maine State Police.

Penobscot County Jail

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Their fear turned to anguish Tuesday when Maine State Police announced they had charged a 20-year-old Orono man with her murder.

Kyle Dube's arrest came a day after a game warden with a search dog found the remains of a female believed to be Cable, in woods along the Stillwater River, just off Route 43 in Old Town.

Dube, who has been in the Penobscot County Jail since Friday on an unrelated charge, is scheduled to make his initial court appearance Wednesday on a murder charge.

Cable's disappearance and death shook this community and nearby Old Town, where she attended high school.

"This has just devastated our community," Tim Munson, a longtime friend of Cable's family, said as he replenished the candles at a shrine for the girl at the base of the dirt road where she lived. "She was a very, very smart, outgoing young lady."

Munson said he was pleased that police made such a swift arrest because it removed some of the fear from the community.

State police Lt. Chris Coleman announced the charges against Dube at a news conference Tuesday in Bangor.

Police released no details about how or why Cable was killed, but said the answers to many questions will be revealed Wednesday morning when a police affidavit showing probable cause to arrest Dube is expected to be released by the court.

Police did not say when Cable died. Dube had turned himself in to the Penobscot County Jail on Friday to begin serving a 90-day sentence on charges stemming from a high-speed chase last year in which the motorcycle he was riding collided with a police cruiser.

Sentenced on May 10, he was given a week of freedom before he had to report to jail. Cable was last seen on Route 221 in Glenburn at 9 p.m. on May 12.

Tyler-Ann Harris, who said she was Cable's best friend, said Dube got together with Cable several times before she disappeared, and they knew each other for about a month and a half.

"She said he wanted to hang out before he went to jail," said Harris, who attended Tuesday's news conference.

One question that persists is the role that social media may have played in Cable's death.

The "missing" posters that were distributed throughout the Bangor area in the days after her disappearance said the family believed that Cable had been lured from her home by a stranger posing as someone else on Facebook.

Police would not say whether Cable planned to meet in person with someone she had met on Facebook.

Penobscot County Sheriff Glenn Ross would not say whether social media may have been a factor in the killing, but he encouraged parents to monitor their children's contacts online and exercise caution.

Harris said she couldn't fathom why, if Dube used Facebook to contact Cable, he would have pretended to be someone else, since Cable already knew him and was fond of him.

Jason Wiley, Cable's stepfather, said the family wants the tragedy of her death to help educate other parents "so no other family has to go through this."

He said family members will discuss the case at length once they have confirmed the details of her death with the state medical examiner and police.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Items of love and remembrance lie at the base of a memorial to Nichol Cable, who was missing for about a week before her body was found in a wooded area in Old Town.

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Maine State Police search the area on Tuesday where the body of Nichole Cable was found near the Stillwater River and Route 43 in Old Town. A member of the investigating group emerges from the woods where the body was found.

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Timothy Munson, a neighbor and friend of Nichole Cable’s family, relights candles Tuesday on the memorial for the 15-year-old at the base of the dirt road where she lived in Glenburn.

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Cousins Ashley Look, left, and Alicia Eaton view the notes left by friends and relatives as they visit the memorial to Nichole Cable who was allegedly murdered by an acquaintance. Photographed on Tuesday, May 21, 2013,

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer


Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)