Friday, December 6, 2013
The Associated Press
NASHUA, N.H. — A family injured in a fireworks explosion at a New Hampshire home last year has sued the homeowners, saying they failed to maintain safe conditions.
Authorities said the fireworks explosion ignited on a Pelham home's back deck set it ablaze the night of July 3, 2012, and filled it with smoke. Thirteen people were hurt, including a 2-year-old boy who suffered serious injuries.
Patrick and Mari Foy of Pelham recently sued Christopher and Jeanne Pappathan of Pelham in Hillsborough County Superior Court. The Foys and their daughter, Olivia, suffered burns.
Patrick Foy had time to dive down the deck stairs but was "engulfed in white fire" and landed in the back yard, the lawsuit says. Marci Foy ran after her husband and daughter and her flip-flops were "blasted right off her feet."
The Telegraph reports the Foys are asking for an unspecified amount of money to compensate them for pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills and other expenses.
Jeanne Pappathan declined to comment on the lawsuit.
New Hampshire's fire marshal, J. William Degnan, had said the fireworks explosion was accidental. He said 344 reloadable mortar shells on the back deck of the home were set off by an aerial spinner firework.
Degnan said all 13 people injured, including eight adults and five children, were on the deck or in an adjacent, three-season porch.