Sunday, March 9, 2014
The Associated Press
NASHUA, N.H. — An elementary school in Nashua has reminded parents and students that playing “tag” violates the school’s longtime “no contact” rule for recess games.
Charlotte Avenue Elementary School Principal Patricia Beaulieu posted a letter on the school’s website last week informing parents of the school’s safety policies. In the letter, she said while “tag” may seem innocent enough, it has been banned in many schools because of injuries.
She told the Telegraph of Nashua that several concussions, a broken wrist and other injuries prompted her to post the letter, and she emphasized that while she wants children to run, jump and play, it has to be in a safe way.
“I went into fifth-grade lunch and I was talking to all the fifth graders, and I said, `Raise your hand if you’ve ever been pushed aggressively while playing tag.’ Most of them raised their hands,” she told the newspaper.
Not all parents are happy.
Bill Chisholm, the father of a fourth grader, said the rules are unnecessary.
“To ban tag is just ridiculous; it’s a simple game,” Chisholm told the Telegraph. “They say the kids are overly aggressive – take the overly aggressive kids out of the game.”
“No parent wants to minimize the injury of a child; however, there isn’t a single childhood activity that any kid could participate in that doesn’t have the risk of injury,” he said.
Playground policies are determined primarily by school principals and can vary from school to school.