November 10, 2013

Oxford fire leaves six homeless

The fire, which took seven hours to extinguish, destroys the home.

From staff reports

OXFORD – A fire early Sunday morning destroyed an Oxford home, left six people homeless and took firefighters from several towns more than seven hours to extinguish.

click image to enlarge

A firefighter hoses down the blaze at 25 Burns Road in Oxford on Sunday. The home was destroyed.

Chuck Blaquiere/Oxford Fire Department

click image to enlarge

Smoke billows from the home at 25 Burns Road in Oxford on Sunday.

Chuck Blaquiere/Oxford Fire Department

Oxford Fire Chief Scott Hunter said the fire at 25 Burns Road apparently started in an area where the family’s wood stove connects to a chimney. It was reported at 6:30 a.m.

Hunter said the home is owned by Sally Courtney. Several people lived in the home, including two  children ages 2 and 3 months. Everyone got out safely, but Hunter said Courtney told firefighters that one dog and five cats were missing.

Hunter, who lives in the neighborhood, said the residence started out as a mobile home and has had several additions built onto it over the years.

The fire kept spreading from one addition to the next, making it difficult to control. Hunter said it took firefighters from several towns more than seven hours to bring the fire under control.

“It was very stubborn,” he said.

The American Red Cross put the family up at a local motel on Sunday night.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)