Saturday, April 19, 2014
LIMINGTON — A popular breakfast place in Limington was destroyed by a fire that started in the kitchen of the restaurant Wednesday night.
Fire Chief Michael Hartford said no one was inside Jake’s Diner, 179 Ossippee Trail, when the fire started just after 5 p.m. Jake’s closes at 2 p.m.
Someone at Sleeper’s Market, which is located next door, noticed smoke and flames and notified authorities. Firefighters from Standish and Cornish provided assistance.
Water had to be shuttled in from a mill pond about a quarter mile away but Hartford said extreme cold temperatures slowed the firefighting efforts because hoses froze.
No injuries were reported. The State Fire Marshall’s Office is investigating but the fire does not appear to be suspicious.