September 17, 2012

Before rat infestation, Porthole violations went unchecked, reports show

City inspectors found problems from 2007 to 2009 but failed to follow up.

By Kelley Bouchard kbouchard@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

PORTLAND — The Porthole had a history of health code violations that went unchecked for more than two years before a city inspector closed the waterfront restaurant Thursday because of a rat infestation and other problems.

click image to enlarge

The Porthole Restaurant, the Comedy Connection and Harbour's Edge, all on Custom House Wharf, in Portland were shut down Thursday for health violations, then cleared to reopen Saturday.

Gabe Souza/Staff Photographer

Related headlines

Related Documents

Porthole Health Inspection from 2009
Porthole Complaint Follow Up 9-14-12

The Porthole, the Comedy Connection nightclub and the Harbour's Edge banquet hall -- all in the same building on Custom House Wharf -- were sufficiently cleaned up, reinspected and cleared to reopen Saturday afternoon by Health Inspector Michele Sturgeon.

Reports from 2007 to 2009 show that city inspectors found similar problems, with dirty or malfunctioning equipment, holes in the ceiling and walls, peeling paint, broken or missing floor tiles, and plumbing that wasn't up to code.

The Porthole wasn't inspected in 2010 or 2011, when the city was in the midst of moving responsibility for food service inspections from the code enforcement office, within the Planning Department, to the Health and Human Services Department, said city spokeswoman Nicole Clegg.

"We had significant staff reductions around that time and we weren't really able to accomplish what we had done in the past," Clegg said Monday.

A report in 2008 called for a follow-up inspection to determine whether plumbing had been installed as ordered for the bar on the Porthole's deck. The next available report, from 2009, made no mention of the plumbing issue, but cited several other problems, including improper food and utensil storage.

The city hired Sturgeon in September 2011, shortly after the state reduced the requirement for food service inspections from yearly to once every two years, Clegg said.

With about 800 food service establishments in Portland, Sturgeon must do about two inspections per day to keep up and hold the businesses accountable to the laws they're expected to follow.

"We're making a concerted effort to be more proactive and educate food service providers about their responsibilities," Clegg said.

Sturgeon allowed the Porthole to reopen after the restaurant's staff thoroughly cleaned the premises Friday and Saturday and owner Oliver Keithly hired Command Pest Services of Gray to get rid of the rats and close any holes in the building.

"It's an ongoing issue, especially in an older building on the waterfront," Keithly said Monday afternoon.

Keithly promised to hire a professional cleaning company to further sanitize walls, ceilings and structural features, and to hire a certified food protection manager as required by state law within 60 days. Sturgeon scheduled a reinspection and planning meeting for Sept. 24.

"I feel confident that the city and myself have worked together to alleviate any concerns," Keithly said.

Keithly wouldn't say how much money his business has lost or spent because of the shutdown. He said he's more concerned that his business won't survive the bad publicity.

He said he believes a disgruntled former employee wrote the anonymous letter that called attention to the health code violations.

Douglas Gardner, Portland's health and human services director, said he's confident that Keithly has addressed significant code violations and will keep problems in check.

Three floor drains that flowed into Portland Harbor were permanently blocked with concrete, Gardner said, and several malfunctioning and dirty appliances were taken out of service, including an ice maker, a food mixer and a meat slicer.

Gardner acknowledged that he allowed Keithly to use the Porthole's kitchen Friday evening to prepare a boiled lobster dinner for a 40-person wedding reception that had been scheduled in the Harbour's Edge banquet hall.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)