Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Portland firefighters and city outreach workers plan to hand out educational fliers and flameless candles next week following the death of a man last weekend in a fire.
Brian Barbour, 53, died of smoke inhalation after his tent caught fire late April 6. Fire investigators say an open candle appears to be the cause of the fire.
Fire Chief Jerome LaMoria is establishing an outreach program to educate homeless people who sleep outside about the dangers posed by open flames. The city also will hand out battery-operated, flameless candles.
Firefighters and social workers will distribute the material Tuesday at 11 a.m. at 5 Portland St., in what LaMoria described as a "small but symbolic" effort.