September 3, 2013

Prosecutor: Broomstick used in Mass. sports-camp rape case

The Associated Press

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Three suburban Boston high school soccer players used a broomstick to rape one freshman boy and try to rape two others last week at a sports team-building retreat in western Massachusetts, a prosecutor said Tuesday. One was held pending a hearing to determine whether he is a danger to the public.

click image to enlarge

Galileo Mondol, 17, left, of Somerville, Mass., stands with his attorney William A. Korman, right, during his arraignment at Central Berkshire District Court Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013, in Pittsfield, Mass. Mondol is charged with sexually assaulting three younger students at Camp Lenox on Aug. 25 in Otis, Mass., during a Somerville High School team-building retreat for the soccer team. (AP Photo/The Boston Globe, Christine Peterson, Pool)

That suspect, Galileo Mondol, 17, and two 16-year-old boys attacked the freshman and attempted to rape the others Aug. 25 in a cabin at Camp Lenox in Otis, in the Berkshire Mountains, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday. Mondol was not involved at first but joined in, Berkshire Assistant District Attorney Rachel Eramo said.

"I want to have a crack at that," Mondol is reported to have said, according to Eramo.

The three defendants then tried to convince the accusers not to report the attack, she said.

The allegations have shaken the Boston suburb of Somerville, including Mayor Joe Curtatone, a volunteer football coach at the camp. Somerville High was holding a team-building retreat at the camp for the soccer and football teams. The defendants and accusers all play soccer.

Mondol pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated rape of a child, assault on a child with intent to commit rape, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, indecent assault, and witness intimidation Tuesday. His dangerousness hearing was scheduled for Friday.

Under Massachusetts law, a 17-year-old is considered an adult and automatically charged as one. The two 16-year-old boys, whose names were not released because of their age, were to be arraigned in juvenile court on similar charges.

They were arrested Friday, and Mondol was held over the weekend on $100,000 bail. A judge refused to lower bail Tuesday, even though his lawyer William Korman said his client had nothing to do with the alleged assault.

"Even the other defendants and the victims said my client had nothing to do with the incident in question," Korman said, adding that Mondol tried to stop the attack. He called the bail amount outrageous.

Mondol's parents were in court but made no comment outside. Mondol was to start his junior year of high school Tuesday, Korman said.

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)