January 31, 2013

Transient pleads not guilty to 1976 Augusta murder

By Betty Adams badams@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

AUGUSTA – Three months after his arrest, a homeless man from Seattle was in court Thursday to plead not guilty to killing an Augusta woman 36 years ago.

click image to enlarge

Wearing headphones to hear the court proceedings, Gary Raub pleaded not guilty to the charge of criminal homicide in the first degree, as it was called in the statutes in 1976 this morning in Kennebec County Superior Court in Augusta. He is charged with the 1976 fatal stabbing of 70-year-old Blanche M. Kimball inside her home on State Street in Augusta.

Staff photo by Joe Phelan

Related Documents

Gary Raub hearing 1-31-13
Audio of Gary Raub arraignment on Jan. 31, 2013 in Kennebec County Superior Court in Augusta.

Gary S. Raub, 64, appeared frail during his appearance in Kennebec County Superior Court and at one point fell to the carpeted floor after his chair tipped over. He wore headphones to aid his hearing.

Raub pleaded not guilty to criminal homicide in the first degree, as it was called in 1976, when Blanche M. Kimball, 70, was killed in her home.

Following a recent link made by DNA evidence, state and Augusta police arrested Raub in mid-October in Seattle and charged him with Kimball's fatal stabbing. Raub rented a room from Kimball around the time she was killed.

Raub's return to Maine was delayed by at least a month because of a medical issue.

Raub, wearing an orange jail uniform and sporting a long white beard and close-shaven head, hobbled into court with help from two sheriff's deputies.

Trembling as he walked, Raub quickly asked to shed his heavy orange coat as he sat at the defense table. One of his thumbs was bandaged.

After the judge left the courtroom, Raub leaned forward to allow a deputy to remove his headphones, his chair toppled backward and he fell to the floor. He was helped up and wiped a hand across his brow, his wrists still in handcuffs.

Kimball's death is the oldest unsolved homicide case to result in charges in state history, police said.

Raub was known as Gary Robert Wilson when he lived at Kimball's home in 1976. He is listed as a transient on the Kennebec County Superior Court complaint.

Kimball was a retired dental technician and practical nurse who occasionally took in boarders.

Justice Michaela Murphy ordered him held without bail.

Murphy told Raub that conviction of the crime carries a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of release.

Raub was a suspect early in the Kimball case, but police didn't have the evidence to charge him, according to court documents.

Raub's re-emerged as a suspect when he was charged in the 2011 stabbing of a Seattle man.

His DNA matched DNA on a bloody knife found at the Kimball murder scene, as well as a blood drop on the knife drawer in Kimball's kitchen, according to a court affidavit.


Betty Adams can be contacted at 621-5631 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)