March 13, 2013

Smoking likely cause of fatal Presque Isle fire

The Associated Press

PRESQUE ISLE — Investigators with the state Fire Marshal's Office say careless disposal of smoking materials is the likely cause of a fatal house fire in Presque Isle last weekend.

The blaze discovered at about 4:30 a.m. Sunday claimed the life of 36-year-old Shawn Withington. He was found in a bedroom.

WABI-TV reported Tuesday that the medical examiner determined he died from smoke inhalation.

Investigators said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Withington lived in the home with his girlfriend and 4-year-old daughter, but they were not home at the time.

His girlfriend discovered the fire when she returned home with friends. Withington had gone out with them but returned home early.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)