February 27, 2013

Standish fire destroys lakeside home

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

STANDISH — A lakeside camp that had been converted into a year-round home was destroyed Wednesday by a fire that started in the kitchen stove.

Standish Fire Chief Brent J. Libby said all three occupants of the home at 47 Eleanor Avenue – who were housesitting for the owner, Thomas West – escaped without injury.

Libby said the home was located on Watchic Lake about 500 feet from the nearest driveway.

Firefighters had to stretch hoses by hand through a garage and down over a hill in order to reach the home.

Snow-covered, slippery roads delayed the fire department’s response to the fire, which was reported at 4:14 p.m., Libby said.

Eight neighboring towns either responded to the fire or covered Standish’s fire station. Crews did not leave the scene until 8 p.m

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)