July 16, 2013

U.S.: 15 high-risk diplomatic posts need upgrade

Diplomatic security chief Gregory Starr says problems include improper blast walls and insufficient setback from public streets.

By Bradley Klapper / The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — State Department officials say 15 high-risk U.S. diplomatic facilities must be upgraded or replaced to prevent any Benghazi-like attack in the future.

Diplomatic security chief Gregory Starr says problems include improper blast walls and insufficient setback from public streets.

He and Bill Miller, the department's point-man for high-risk posts, are testifying before a Senate panel to defend a $2.2 billion request for embassy security funding in 2014.

They cited some progress worldwide, including approval for a new Beirut embassy after 30 years of effort.

Republican Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee questioned part of the department's response to last year's deadly attack in Libya.

He challenged plans for a new security training center. And he expressed disappointment with the paid leave given to four employees faulted for wrongdoing on Benghazi.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)