June 17, 2013

Violent weekend in Chicago leaves at least 6 dead

The Associated Press

CHICAGO — Chicago Police are investigating after a violent weekend left at least six people dead and more than three dozen wounded in a series of shootings.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday that it was the most violent weekend of the year in the city.

Authorities say the first homicide of the weekend happened late Friday on the city's West Side. The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's office said Monday morning that the youngest victim was 15-year-old Michael Westley, who died Sunday.

Chicago Police officials told the newspaper that more shootings took place during the same weekend last year and that there have been fewer murders so far in 2013 than any year since the mid-1960s.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)