September 15, 2013

Windham police say copper pipe thieves caused propane gas leak

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

WINDHAM — Police are searching for copper pipe thieves who severed a propane gas line and put a home in danger after it filled with the explosive gas.

A news release posted on the police department’s Facebook page says the Windham Fire Department was called Saturday morning to the scene of a propane leak at 137 Brand Road, a vacant house.

It took firefighters about a half hour to control the leak and remove the gas from the home.

Windham police discovered that burglars had cut a propane line while removing copper heating pipes from the residence. The suspects left behind tools and several lengths of copper. Police believe the thefts took place over a period of days.

Neighbors identified the suspects’ vehicles as a silver minivan operated by a blond female in her 20s, and a dark colored sport utility vehicle – possibly an older Jeep. The vehicles may also have had a broken rear window and a missing door mirror.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Windham police at 892-1919.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)