December 27, 2013

Carelessly disposed ashes caused Waterville blaze

Fires like the one that destroyed the Waterville garage are a hazard of the home-heating season.

By JESSE SCARDINA Morning Sentinel

WATERVILLE — The fire that destroyed a flooring company’s storage building on Drummond Avenue on Christmas could have been avoided if wood ashes that ignited it had been disposed of properly, according to the Waterville Fire Department.

click image to enlarge

Firefighters from Waterville battle a blaze at 160 Drummond Ave. in Waterville on Wednesday. Officials say the fire was started by woodstove ashes.

Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

click image to enlarge

Staff photo by Michael G. Seamans CHRISTMAS FIRE: Waterville firefighters use an excavator mop up a major fire that destroyed a local business on Drummond Avenue in Waterville on Wednesday, Dec. 25, 2013.

Additional Photos Below

Fire officials say complacency about home-heating safety this time of year is a common problem and causes an increase in fires.

Wood stove ashes left in a garage attached to Robert Grenier’s home ignited the fire, which heavily damaged the house and destroyed the garage Wednesday afternoon, fire officials said. The building housed storage supplies for his business, Grenier’s Classic Flooring.

Grenier suffered second-degree burns on his right hand and was treated at the scene. The building and everything in it – including carpeting, tiling, a van, a trailer and a forklift – were destroyed. Four other people were in the house preparing Christmas dinner when the fire occurred, but made it out safely, according to the fire department.

The ashes had been stored in a plastic bin inside the garage near other flammable objects, increasing the risk of a fire, according to Capt. Michael Michaud for Waterville Fire Department.

“When you clean out your wood stove or fireplace, put the ashes in a metal bucket and place it outside and at least 20 feet away from anything combustible,” Michaud said. “Hot coals and embers can either ignite the plastic bucket or melt through them and ignite the surrounding objects.”

Ash fires like the one on Drummond Avenue are naturally more prevalent during the colder months when people are heating homes with wood stoves.

“Across the state you’ll see a rise in these types of fires every year – people get complacent and make that mistake,” Michaud said. “Most people in general are aware of the hazard of putting ashes in something other than a metal can and putting them on a back porch or in a garage. But people get complacent sometimes, and the cold weather contributes. People don’t want to walk outside when it’s snowing or raining and will just put the ashes in the garage until they leave for the supermarket.”

From 2008 to 2010, more than 38 percent of heating fires happened during December or January, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.

The Christmas Day fire’s smoke plume was highly visible and drew an audience, which combined with icy conditions made battling the fire difficult and created a treacherous situation for both responders and onlookers, Michaud said.

“When the fire is happening, it’s important for people to stay away,” Michaud said. “I know it’s a big draw, especially a fire as big as that one was, but it’s important people stay back so we can get the equipment that we need.”

Jesse Scardina can be contacted at 861-9239 or at:

jscardina@centralmaine.com

Twitter: @jessescardina

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors


Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

A Waterville firefighter gestures to other first responders on Christmas Day as they arrive to battle a fire that destroyed a garage used for storing flooring supplies.

Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

  


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)