Friday, December 13, 2013
ALFRED — The fire reported at the Southern Maine Re-entry Center in Alfred has been extinguished. It was found to be caused by a clothes dryer and was extinguished quickly.
Firefighters were called to the center at 2 Layman Way shortly after 7 a.m.
The fire caused damage to the landry room, according to Department of Corrections spokesman Scott Fish.
Fish said the center's inmates were evacuated, and no one was injured. Staff were awaiting the OK from the state fire marshal to go back in late Wednesday morning.
The re-entry center is operated by the Maine Department of Corrections as a transitional facility for female prisoners learning job skills and preparing for release from custody within the next year.