May 4, 2013

Burglary victims: North Pond Hermit purloined peace of mind

By BETTY ADAMS Kennebec Journal

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

David Proulx reclaims a cooler and raincoat at the State Police Troop C barracks. He said his camp was burglarized twice a year for more than two decades.

Photos by Joe Phelan/Kennebec Journal

click image to enlarge

In Skowhegan Saturday, State Police displayed items recovered from the campsite of Christopher Knight, who admits carrying out more than 1,000 burglaries.

One man came out waving a large, clocklike thermometer, which he said was stolen about a decade ago. He also was carrying a small knife he had reclaimed. He declined to give his name and drove off in a car with Rhode Island plates.

Other camp owners left with paperwork but no items.

Maine State Police Sgt. Peter Michaud encouraged the news media to take photos of the unclaimed items lying on the garage floor. He said people who can identify the items as theirs can call the barracks at 207-474-3350 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and ask for Perkins-Vance, the primary investigator.

"It's been a huge investigation," Perkins-Vance said. "Probably one of the biggest I've been involved in."

The results of her investigation have been turned over to Maloney's office, she said, and Maloney said she would be reviewing them this week to consider whether further charges will be filed against Knight.

Knight currently faces charges of burglary and theft from April 4 at the Pine Tree Camp and from last fall at a private camp on Little North Pond owned by Lillie Cogswell of Wimberley, Texas.

He remains in the Kennebec County jail in lieu of $25,000 cash bail. The bail carries other restrictions as well.

Knight is due in Kennebec County Superior Court on May 28 on the charges related to burglaries at the Pine Tree Camp and June 13 on charges related to the burglary and theft at Cogswell's.

Perkins-Vance said Knight is faring well in jail despite his years of living as a recluse. She also said family members had been visiting him at the jail.

Knight disappeared around 1986, and had been in contact with no one except a passing hiker on one occasion, until his arrest, he told the trooper.

Perkins-Vance said Knight has been willing to talk to her but has offered no explanation about why he chose to disappear.

"He doesn't recall why he went into the woods," she said.

She said he also has spoken since his arrest of his remorse and about making amends.

Walter McKee, the attorney representing Knight, said last week he and his client would not be providing any comment.

Betty Adams can be contacted at 621-5631 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)