February 20, 2013

Old Orchard Beach rescinds firing of town official

The vote follows a debate on who has jurisdiction over the public works director's contract.

By Gillian Graham ggraham@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

OLD ORCHARD BEACH – The Town Council voted Tuesday to rescind a letter of termination issued to the public works director, who had been accused of threatening to shoot the town manager.

click image to enlarge

Public Works Director Bill Robertson attends an Old Orchard Beach Town Council meeting Tuesday, where a debate touched on his alleged threat to shoot the town manager.

Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Mark Pearson

Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer

Related headlines

Related Documents

Read the investigation report on Bill Robertson
Termination notice: OOB public works director

Public Works Director Bill Robertson allegedly threatened to shoot the town manager and claim it was an accident, according to a report prepared for town officials by a private investigator hired to investigate the incident. Town Manager Mark Pearson issued a letter of termination to Robertson earlier this month.

Robertson denies the threat, which was reported to town officials by Wastewater Superintendent Christopher White. Robertson claims he told White he wanted to “moon” Pearson, not shoot him. Robertson has not been charged in connection with the alleged threat. 

The allegation was not mentioned specifically in the Feb. 1 termination letter sent by Pearson to Robertson. Pearson said in the letter he was terminating Robertson's contract for public expressions of animosity toward the town manager and concerns about his job performance.

The Town Council agenda for Tuesday's meeting included an executive session on a personnel matter related to Robertson. The closed-door discussion failed to materialize when councilors Michael Coleman, Robert Quinn and Robin Dayton voted against moving into executive session.

Quinn said he wanted to consult with the town attorney to see if the council has jurisdiction in the matter. Coleman and Dayton said they do not feel the council has jurisdiction when it comes to Robertson's employment contract. They all questioned why the town attorney wasn't present at the meeting.

A heated discussion between the council and residents continued for more than an hour after the failed vote to move into executive session. The debate – in which councilors and residents alternately spoke over each other, yelled and applauded – culminated with a council vote to rescind Robertson's termination and remove him from administrative leave.

It was not immediately clear when Robertson would return to work.

Council Chairwoman Sharri MacDonald and councilors Laura Bolduc, Dana Furtado and Linda Mailhot voted in favor of keeping Robertson. Quinn, Coleman and Dayton abstained, saying the vote was illegal because it was not on the agenda and was not added at the beginning of the meeting.

"This vote is like it never happened. It was an illegal action," Coleman said before the meeting adjourned.

Furtado, who said the investigation into Robertson was a "witch hunt," welcomed Robertson back as public works director as many of the approximately 60 residents and town employees in council chambers applauded.

During the meeting, frequent mention was made of a confidential investigative report submitted by a private investigator hired at Pearson's request to look into an allegation that Robertson threatened to shoot the town manager in December.

According to the report, prepared by Thomas Santaguida of Dirigo Investigations & Security and obtained by the Portland Press Herald, White said Robertson made the threat against the town manager during a phone call about delivering salt to the wastewater treatment plant. When Pearson's name was mentioned, Robertson "seemed to become very agitated and said that Pearson was an 'odd duck' or a 'strange duck,' " White told the private investigator.

Robertson told White that Pearson had driven past the public works department, looked into Robertson's windows and drove away, according to the report.

"Robertson then added next time Pearson did this (he) might go get his gun. He then stated further, next time he might go get his gun and shoot him (Pearson) and say that he shot a crow," White told the private investigator, according to the report.

White told Santaguida the threat was made Dec. 13, the day before the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. He did not report the alleged threat to town officials until Dec. 20, when he expressed his concerns to a human resources employee during a town hall Christmas party.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)