December 20, 2012

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services

(Continued from page 2)

Tebbetts owns Tebbs Smokeshops in Portland, Biddeford and Auburn, and in several locations in New York.

Prosecutors said he also pleaded guilty to a money laundering charge for buying a motor home with $157,000 in cash from illegal sales.

He agreed to forfeit $314,000, the motor home, two cars, two pickup trucks, a snowmobile and a trailer.

Sentencing is scheduled for April 29. He could face up to 20 years in prison on drug counts.

 

LEWISTON

CMP energizes substation as part of five-year project

Central Maine Power Co's $1.4 billion transmission system upgrade reached a milestone Thursday as CMP energized a substation on Larrabee Road.

The $57 million substation is the first major component of the upgrade program to come online and is among the utility's largest facilities. Its role is to take power from the New England regional grid and move it for use in Androscoggin, Franklin, Kennebec, Oxford and Sagadahoc counties.

"With this substation coming online, we've turned a corner, and we truly have the first piece of a stronger, smarter grid for Maine's future," Sara Burns, president and CEO of the utility, a subsidiary of Iberdrola USA, said in a statement.

The substation equipment includes a 345,000-volt autotransformer, the first of four for the system upgrade. The five-year project also involves the building or upgrading of 440 miles of transmission lines from Orrington to Eliot.

 

AUGUSTA

Maine CDC issues warning about carbon monoxide

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning about carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday, saying seven Mainers have been sent to hospitals with carbon monoxide poisoning since November. No fatalities have been reported.

The state CDC urged Mainers to heat their homes safely and be extremely cautious while working on engines in garages.

Malfunctioning home heating sources were the cause of five of the recent poisonings. Two people were poisoned while working in their garages, one from exhaust that built up and the other from space heaters.

In Maine, about 75 percent of all reported cases of carbon monoxide poisoning occur in the period from November to March, the agency said.

Anything that burns fuel, such as an oil or propane boiler or wood stove, produces carbon monoxide. When the appliances are not properly maintained or vented, carbon monoxide can build up in a home without anyone noticing.

In another recent event, a carbon monoxide detector alerted a family to the presence of the poisonous gas coming from a wood stove. The family got out safely. In the overwhelming majority of poisonings reported to the state agency, there were no carbon monoxide detectors present.

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)