January 16, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services

(Continued from page 2)

Police say a flip-flop left behind after a doughnut shop burglary in Waterville led them to a suspect.

Jessica Savage, 31, was sentenced Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court to serve nine months of a five-year prison term, after pleading guilty to breaking into a Dunkin' Donuts and stealing $150.

Prosecutors said she smashed a window, hopped over a counter and passed a cash box out the window. But she left behind her footwear and prosecutors said DNA from the flip-flop was matched to the Winslow woman.

She was already serving a jail term for participating in a break-in at a state legislator's home eight days after the doughnut shop burglary.

The Morning Sentinel said Savage was also ordered to pay for the cost of replacing the window.


Fryeburg man sentenced for stealing guitars, jewelry

A Fryeburg man has been sentenced to four years in prison for stealing vintage guitars and jewelry from a home in Porter.

Zachary Jackson was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty to burglary, two counts of theft and receiving stolen property. He was also ordered to pay more than $7,000 in restitution.

Prosecutors said the homeowner caught a man and a woman leaving his home in April with jewelry. They were told to drop the items, but instead ran to a car and drove off. They were later identified as Jackson, 24, and Tiffany Loring, 24.

The Sun Journal reported that two of the five guitars missing from the home turned up at a Portland pawn shop. Not all of the stolen items were recovered. Loring's case is pending.


Town official cleared in case of impersonation via emails

Camden's economic development director has been cleared of charges of impersonating a state official.

Brian Hodges had been investigated by state police after they found emails to state officials in 2011 that were supposedly from Deb Neuman, the state's deputy commissioner of economic development, a job Hodges once held.

According to court documents, the emails came from IP addresses linked to Hodges.

Hodges told WABI-TV that prosecutors dropped the case months ago, but he found out a few days ago.

He said he was confident he would be cleared and is looking forward to focusing on his job in Camden.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)