Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navy will repair USS Miami, N.H. congresswoman says
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter of New Hampshire says the Navy has decided that it will repair the USS Miami, which sustained $450 million worth of damage last year in a fire started by a worker at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.
Shea-Porter was at the shipyard Monday to show her support for workers who could be facing furlough days this year because of federal budget cuts.
But the Portsmouth Herald reported that she also brought some positive news regarding the USS Miami.
Earlier this month, officials said the Navy's commitment to repairing the nuclear submarine was wavering under the realities of mandatory budget cuts, but Shea-Porter said $150 million in funding was approved last week for the repairs.
James Fury, who set the fire last May, has been sentenced to 17 years in prison.
City Councilor Anton says he won't seek re-election
City Councilor John Anton said Monday that he will not seek re-election this fall for the at-large seat he has held since 2007.
Anton, 47, said he is stepping aside to focus on his career and to spend more time with his family. He is married and has two daughters, ages 7 and 10.
"The work's important -- I enjoy it," he said. "I definitely plan to stay involved in public affairs and civic affairs."
Anton is a self-employed consultant specializing in real estate and community development finance and policy.
Before starting his business last year, Anton worked for the Portland nonprofit Northern New England Housing Investment Fund, serving as vice president from 1997 to 2000 and president from 2000 to 2011.
Anton chairs the council's Finance Committee and serves on the Transportation, Sustainability and Energy Committee.
He previously served on the Planning Board and as a Portland Housing Authority commissioner.
Anton did not rule out a future run for City Council or other elective office.
At-large Councilor Jill Duson and District 3 Councilor Edward Suslovic are also up for re-election this year.
State eligible for federal aid to help cover blizzard costs
Maine will be eligible for federal help to cover the costs of a blizzard that hit in early February.
President Obama has agreed to Gov. Paul LePage's request for a disaster declaration.
Maine's congressional delegation said Monday that the declaration means Androscoggin, Cumberland, Knox and York counties are designated to receive assistance for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities.
The storm on Feb. 8-9 caused significant coastal flood damage and costly snow removal.
The delegation said all 16 counties also are eligible to apply for assistance for work that will prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural hazards.
Thorndike woman dies from March crash injuries
A Thorndike woman who was involved in a crash in a snowstorm on March 19 has died.
Jeannine Ann, 65, was driving a 2003 Ford Explorer east on Unity Road when it collided with a tractor trailer, Maine State Police said.
She died about 7 p.m. Thursday at Maine Medical Center in Portland, said state police Sgt. Aaron Hayden.
Michael Hogan, 32, of Bangor was operating the 2005 Freightliner tractor trailer, which was towing a dump trailer loaded with road salt when the accident happened about 12:30 p.m. on snow-covered roads. Hogan was westbound to Fairfield.
Ann's vehicle began to slide into the oncoming lane of traffic and ended up perpendicular to the road, according to police.
Police said the accident was due to road conditions during the snowstorm and no charges are expected. Hogan told police he did not have time to stop before the crash occurred. He was not injured.
(Continued on page 2)