March 26, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

(Continued from page 1)

Church damaged by blaze will reopen Easter Sunday

A church that was severely damaged by a fire during Labor Day weekend is scheduled to reopen just in time for Easter.

The Easter Sunday service this week will be the first in the United Parish Church of Harrison and North Bridgton since fire heavily damaged the basement kitchen early on Sept. 1.

The congregation has been holding services in the Harrison Fire Station community room since.

The Sun Journal reported that the fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the building. The cleanup included removing all the ceiling tiles and insulation in the vestry, gutting the kitchen, and cleaning the ceiling in the sanctuary. The pews were washed multiple times to remove soot, and the sanctuary's stained glass windows and chandeliers were cleaned.


Local woman hospitalized after snowmobile accident

Authorities say a Jackman woman was flown to a Bangor hospital after a snowmobile accident.

Game Warden Andrew Smart said Rayeann Milliken suffered a punctured thigh and lost a significant amount of blood after losing control of the snowmobile she was operating about 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

Smart said Milliken was driving the snowmobile with a passenger in a field.

He told the Morning Sentinel that she tried to drive over a snowbank but lost control. The sled flipped over and landed on Milliken.

Her passenger, Tyler Varney, was not hurt. Both are in their 20s.

The warden said inexperience operating a snowmobile was likely a factor.


Man wanted in New York arrested on college campus

Police said a man who is wanted in New York City on charges of attempted murder, gang assault, first-degree assault and weapons violations has been detained on a fugitive charge in Waterville.

Police said Eimel Evans, 19, was arrested Monday on the campus of Thomas College in Waterville, where he's a student.

New York police said the charges stem from a shooting in August. Waterville police assisted several New York police detectives who came to Maine to arrest Evans.

Evans was held without bail on a fugitive-from-justice charge at the Kennebec County jail. There was no paperwork indicating whether he had an attorney. 

-- From staff and news services


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)