May 3, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services

(Continued from page 1)

The $462,000 should be enough to keep paying the court-appointed attorneys for another two weeks or so, but it doesn't enable the commission to keep paying the bills until the end of the fiscal year on June 30, Carey said.

The commission had informed the Legislature that it was underfunded by about $1.8 million, but the Legislature's budget-writing committee rejected funding the shortfall in the supplemental budget. Instead, legislators voted to give the governor emergency powers to fill the gap when money becomes available any time this fiscal year.


Central Maine trout pond threatened by bass stocking

Wildlife officials say a prime central Maine brook trout pond is under threat because of illegal bass stocking.

The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife says biologists have confirmed the presence of smallmouth bass in Kimball Pond in Vienna.

Fisheries Director Mike Brown says Kimball Pond has a first-class brook trout fishery that is now threatened by smallmouth bass, which will compete with trout for food and feed on small trout.

Officials say it may be impossible to eradicate bass from the pond, but that fishermen can do their part by removing any bass they catch.


Ugandan men face jail time in marriage fraud conspiracy

Two Ugandan nationals face jail time and deportation for their roles in a marriage fraud conspiracy.

U.S. Attorney Thomas Delahanty announced Thursday that Ronald Serunjogi, 35, of Saco was convicted of marriage fraud Wednesday in U.S. District Court.

Evidence presented at the trial showed that Serunjogi helped Sampson Sengoonzi marry a Lewiston woman who is a U.S. citizen in October 2008. The men paid the woman, and the arrangement made it possible for Sengoonzi to stay in Maine.

Sengoonzi came to this country on a tourist visa but overstayed his visa, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Stacey Neumann.

The U.S. Attorney's Office said Serunjogi also helped Sengoonzi prepare submissions to immigration authorities in support of his application for permanent residency. Authorities detected fraud and referred the matter for a criminal investigation.

Sengoonzi has already been convicted and ordered deported, but Neumann said Thursday that she is not sure whether Sengoonzi is still in the country.

Serunjogi faces as much as five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Neumann said Sengoonzi's wife, whose name has not been released, is expected to plead guilty Friday to marriage fraud. She could face as much as five years in prison. 

Coast Guard investigating fake mayday calls in Maine

The Coast Guard is investigating fake mayday calls from Maine that it suspects were made by a man who has made more than a dozen hoax distress calls in recent years.

The Coast Guard said Thursday it's seeking the public's help to identify who made the calls over a marine radio on April 23 and 25.

Officials say the calls came from the Lincolnville area and are believed to be the same man who made at least 12 other hoax calls in the past three years, resulting in more than 50 hours of search time by Coast Guard and local responders.

The Coast Guard has posted a recording of the calls on its website --


Attorney general's ruling clears police in man's death

The Attorney General's Office has ruled that Bangor police were justified when they used a stun gun to subdue a man under the influence of drugs. The man died at a hospital five days later.

The attorney general says use of the Taser on Sept. 12 was within the limits of the law and its use did not result in the Sept. 17 death of Philip McCue, 28. The office says McCue died of poisoning after ingesting the synthetic drug bath salts.

The attorney general has thus decided not to launch a formal investigation.

Deaths in police custody are reviewed as a matter of law.

The review found that McCue "presented significant physical resistance to the attempts to take him into custody," which required use of the stun gun. 

Man, woman sent to prison for their roles in drug ring

An Augusta man and an Albion woman have been sent to federal prison for their roles in a drug ring that brought cocaine and oxycodone from New York to central Maine.

Saul Hernandez of Augusta was sentenced this week in federal court in Bangor to four years and four months behind bars followed by three years of probation. He pleaded guilty to September to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute, and distribution of cocaine and oxycodone.

His attorney said he expressed regret in court for his actions.

Cassandra Ware of Albion was sentenced to two years and six months in prison, followed by three years of probation. She pleaded guilty in November to similar charges. She too expressed remorse. 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)