August 22, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services

(Continued from page 1)

Further details about the man's death are awaiting an analysis by the state Medical Examiner's Office, Strout said.

Stout said he did not want to release the man's identity until he was sure his family had been notified.


Crew quickly douse fire in ice cream factory attic

A small fire in the attic of Gifford's Famous Ice Cream's factory building, sparked by a saw being used to renovate the roof, was extinguished by fire crews Wednesday.

A call went into Skowhegan Fire Department at 12:25 p.m. for a fire at Gifford's on Hathaway Road, according to Capt. Mike Savage.

Sparks from the saw set fire to debris in the attic, Savage said, and employees of Gifford's helped control the flames until fire crews arrived.

"Some of the employees had a garden hose in the building and used that to keep the flames from spreading," Savage said.

No one was injured, although one Gifford's employee was checked for smoke inhalation and one firefighter was checked for dehydration. An intern who answered the phone at Gifford's said the employee is OK.

The fire was under control by 12:48 p.m. and the ice cream shop was closed for about an hour.


Further delay granted in child-porn case sentencing

The sentencing of a former Maine college basketball star on child pornography charges has been delayed again.

Dana Wilson, 62, of Brewer was scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday, but told the judge he had fired his attorney over concerns about the way his case had been handled and requested a court-appointed lawyer. The judge agreed. No new date was set.

Wilson's former attorney, Jeff Silverstein, as well as the prosecutor, told WABI-TV they thought the case was handled well.

Wilson pleaded no contest in May to possessing child porn. He was scheduled to be sentenced last month but the hearing was postponed so Wilson's psychologist could testify.

Wilson averaged an NCAA Division III best nearly 35 points a game his senior year at Husson College in 1974.


Man found guilty of assault, but not attempted murder

A Lewiston man charged with stabbing his on-and-off girlfriend has been acquitted of an attempted murder charge but convicted of lesser charges including elevated aggravated assault.

The Androscoggin County Superior Court jury deliberated for almost three hours Tuesday before reaching a verdict in the trial of Cleveland Cruthirds, 27.

Cruthirds' lawyer, John Paul DeGrinney, told the Sun Journal that while satisfied with an acquittal on the most serious charge, he plans to appeal based on what he called a flawed police investigation including the loss of his client's alibi witness statements.

Authorities alleged Cruthirds stabbed Naomi Swift 21 times in December 2011 because he was angry and jealous she had been in contact with ex-boyfriends. Cruthirds denied attacking Swift.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)