May 23, 2013

Girl's murder suspect silent amid sea of grief in Maine court

As Kyle Dube is formally charged with killing Nichole Cable, 15, the judge seals an affidavit with case details.

By David Hench
Staff Writer

and Edward D. Murphy
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Kyle Dube walks into Superior Court for his arraignment at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on Wednesday.

Gordon Chibroski / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Nichole Cable's mother is being shielded by a coat as her family leaves Penobscot County Superior Court in Bangor on Wednesday after Kyle Dube's arraignment on a charge of murdering Nichole.

Gordon Chibroski/Staff Photographer

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Schutz said if the judge believes that parts of the affidavit are so inflammatory that they might make it hard to seat an impartial jury, he could redact those parts while releasing the rest of the document.

The state medical examiner confirmed Wednesday that the body found Monday night in woods along the Stillwater River off Route 43 in Old Town was Cable's. No cause of death was released. Benson said additional testing would be done on the body.

The criminal complaint charging Dube with murder says he killed Cable in her hometown of Glenburn on May 12, the day she disappeared sometime after 9 p.m.

The complaint describes Dube as 5 feet 9 inches tall and 170 pounds. Cable is described as 5 feet 3 inches and 90 pounds.

Cable's family has established a fund in her memory. Her stepfather, Jason Wiley, said the fund will be used to help other families who go through similar trauma. Donations to the Nichole Cable Memorial Fund can be made through People's United Bank, 201 Main St., Bangor, ME 04401.

Dube's court appearance was brief but emotional for those who cared about Cable.

"It made me sick," said Ashley Pattershall, 16, who was a close friend of Cable at Old Town High School. Seeing the man who is charged with killing her friend "almost made me want to puke."

Kristine Wiley left the court Wednesday clutching, as she has for days, a white stuffed animal pillow that was her daughter's. She was supported by her husband and friends.

James Robinson, a friend, said the family has been told by prosecutors and victims' advocates not to speak to the media, for fear of jeopardizing the case.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

Edward D. Murphy can be contacted at 791-6465 or at:

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Kyle Dube's attorney, Stephen Smith, talks to the media Wednesday, when Dube was arraigned in Penobscot County Superior Court.

Gordon Chibroski/Staff Photographer


Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)