November 8, 2012

Pellet stove in window suspected in Eliot fire

The fire appeared to start on the outside of the building so there may have been a problem with the stove's exhaust, a fire official says.

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

ELIOT — Firefighters in Eliot responded to a fire at 324 Goodwin Road Thursday morning, site of an electrician's business.

Fire was reported at 6:43 a.m. by the business owner. When crews arrived, half the building was burning, said Fire Chief Jay Muzeroll. That 20- by 30-foot section – as well as the electrical equipment and generators – was a total loss, though the rest of the building, including the office, barn and attached house, were saved, he said.

Nobody was injured.

The fire was out and crews were mopping up by 9:15 a.m.

Investigators suspect a window-mounted pellet stove may have contributed to the fire, Muzeroll said. The units look like an air conditioner with about half outside the window and half inside it, he said.

The fire appeared to start on the outside of the building so there may have been a problem with the exhaust, he said.

Years ago, the building was known as East Eliot Garage, Muzeroll said.

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)