April 21, 2013

Five days of fear in Boston

On Friday night, Bostonians could applaud law enforcement that put terror on the run.

By ADAM GELLER The Associated Press

(Continued from page 3)

click image to enlarge

Upon noticing that the tarp on his boat was askew, a Watertown man found the wounded Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding below. Police used thermal detection to verify his presence, and he was arrested after a standoff marked by more gunfire.

Massachusetts Police Department

click image to enlarge

Mary O’Kane, 85, plays patriotic tunes at the Arlington Street Church in Boston on Thursday, three days after two bombs caused chaos and carnage at the Boston Marathon.

The Associated Press

Related headlines

For complete coverage of the Boston Marathon bombings and manhunt, click here.

"Somebody yelled, 'Get out of the way!' and they (the officers) look up and here comes the black SUV that's been hijacked right at them. They dove out of the way at the last second and he ran over his brother, dragged him down the street and then fled," he said.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

But after all the gunfire, the second gunman had vanished. Officers, their guns drawn, cordoned off the area.

At 8:30 a.m., Jonathan Peck heard helicopters circling above his house on Cypress Street and looked outside to see about 50 armed men.

"It seemed like Special Forces teams were searching every nook and cranny of my yard," he said.

Unable to find the second suspect, authorities announced they were shutting down not just Watertown, but all of Boston and many of its suburbs, affecting more than 1 million people. Train service was cancelled. Taxis were ordered off the streets.

But as the hours went by Friday, and the house-to-house search continued, investigators found no sign of their quarry. Finally, at about 6:30 p.m., they announced the shutdown had been lifted.

Across Watertown, people ventured out -- including a man who took a few steps into his Franklin Street back yard, then noticed the tarp on his boat was askew. He lifted it, looked inside and saw a man covered in blood.

He rushed back in to call police. Again, the neighborhood was awash in officers. The man hunkered down inside the boat, later identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, traded fire with police for more than an hour, until at last they were able to subdue him.

Around 8:45 p.m., police scanners crackled:

"Suspect in custody."

Bostonians applauded police officers and cheered as the ambulance carrying Tsarnaev passed.

But on Boylston Street, where the bombing site remained cordoned off, tears were shed.

"I think it's a mixture of happiness and relief," said Matt Taylor, 39.

Attorney Beth Lloyd-Jones, who was 25 blocks from the bombings, was planning her wedding inside the Boston Public Library, adjacent to where the bombs exploded.

"Now I feel a little safer," she said. But she couldn't help but think of the victims: "That could have been any one of us."


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)