Wednesday, December 11, 2013
NEWFIELD — A woman who suffered burns and smoke inhalation during a fire at her house In Newfield Wednesday morning had to be taken by helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland.
Newfield Fire Chief David Neville said the woman, whose name was not available, staggered from her Water Street home and fell onto an outside porch where a man passing by the house stopped and pulled her to safety.
The woman was then transported to Goodall Hospital in Sanford, which called for a LifeFlight helicopter to transfer her to Portland.
The severity of her injuries wasn't immediately known, but Neville said the house sustained extensive fire and smoke damage.
The cause of the fire, which broke out around 11:30 a.m., is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.