January 29, 2013

Kennebunk prostitution trial delayed until Feb. 13

The prosecution is asking Maine's high court to reinstate 46 invasion-of-privacy charges that were dismissed last week.

By Scott Dolan sdolan@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Mark Strong Sr., left, and Tina Nadeau, his co-counsel, listen to Strong's other co-counsel, Daniel Lilley, address Justice Nancy Mills on Tuesday at York County Superior Court in Alfred.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

York County Superior Court Justice Nancy Mills on Tuesday continued the gag order she imposed on defense attorneys, prosecutors and jurors while she awaits a ruling from the Maine Supreme Judicial Court on an appeal by the prosecution.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

McGettigan filed a complaint with the judge, citing two newspapers and three television stations that quoted Lilley outside the courthouse in Alfred on Friday.

She further cited the Portland Press Herald for quoting from subsequent phone interviews with Lilley.

"The court made it crystal clear in chambers and elsewhere that we were not to speak to the press," McGettigan said.

The prosecutor cited quotes by Lilley, in which he said "the state needs to get off its ass and try this case" and needs to decide whether to "fish or cut bait."

"Mr. Lilley is a skilled orator," McGettigan said. "He knew very well what he was doing. He's a very experienced lawyer."

Lilley said his public comments were about procedural aspects, not the substance of the case, but the judge disagreed. "Any further violation of the order will be dealt with by me," Mills said.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys have until Feb. 4 to file briefs in the appeal.

Strong's attorneys have until Feb. 7 to file a rebuttal. And prosecutors have until Feb. 11 to file their rebuttal.

Also Tuesday, Mills ordered McGettigan to add numbered labels to the large catalogues of evidence that the prosecution plans to present in the trial, including thousands of pages of emails between Strong and Wright.

The state also plans to present their cellphone exchanges and nearly 14,000 screen shots of online video conversations between them.

Authorities have said that Strong and Wright communicated in video calls before and after Wright's videotaped encounters with customers.

McGettigan said those videos, despite their sexually explicit nature, will be shown in court as evidence of Strong's and Wright's crimes.

Staff Writer Scott Dolan can be contacted at 791-6304 or at:

sdolan@pressherald.com

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors


Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Deputy District Attorney Justina McGettigan argues Tuesday against a motion by the defense to sever the 13 remaining counts against Mark Strong Sr. from the 46 dismissed counts that are on appeal at the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

  


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)