Wednesday, May 22, 2013
From staff and news services
Members of the Maine Public Safety Pipe and Drum Corps play Sunday outside the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Lewiston before the start of the Blue Mass. The annual Blue Mass pays tribute and offers blessings to Maine’s law enforcement, fire and emergency medical personnel and is held in September to remember those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001. It was organized by Maine’s Roman Catholic Diocese.
AP Photo/Amber Waterman, Sun Journal
Unhappy Yankees fan broke door with brick, police say
A New York Yankees fan was arrested Saturday night for throwing a brick through the glass front door of the Portland Police Department, police said.
Police Lt. Robert Doherty said Jeffrey Nason, 38, whose address is unknown, entered the Middle Street station at 8:30 p.m. to report he had been accosted for wearing a Yankees baseball cap. When Nason left the station, he threw a brick through the front lobby door, causing more than $1,000 in damage, police said. No one was hurt.
Nason was apprehended a short distance from the station and charged with aggravated criminal mischief, a class C felony. He was being held at the Cumberland County Jail.
Man wanted in Maine flees police, crashes into house
A New Hampshire man wanted by authorities in Maine is facing charges after crashing his car into a house while being chased by police.
Authorities said Michael Stringer, of Rochester, took off when police tried to pull him over on a Rochester street about 3:30 a.m. Saturday for a motor vehicle violation.
Officials said Stringer failed to negotiate a corner while driving at a high speed and slammed into a house in a residential area. Nobody was at home at the time. Stringer was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
He was charged with being a fugitive from justice, reckless operation, disobeying an officer, drug possession, operating without a license and taking the car without the owner's consent.
Police said Stringer was wanted in Maine for a probation violation.
Boy, 12, steers car to safety after father suffers seizure
A 12-year-old boy steered his family's car to safety along Interstate 95 after his father suffered what appeared to be a seizure while driving, then brought his younger sister to safety behind a guardrail while waiting for help, state police said.
The boy, who's from Dracut, took the wheel Saturday, steered it into a southbound breakdown lane in Peabody and applied the brakes, troopers said. He then used his dad's cellphone to call 911.
He told the dispatcher that his father was having a seizure while driving on the highway. He didn't know where he was or what road he was on, but was able to describe landmarks. Officials were only able to narrow the location to Peabody, about 20 miles north of Boston, by tracking the cellphone signal.
State police say the search was difficult because there are several highways in the area, but troopers found the family shortly after the boy called 911.
The boy's father, who was unconscious, was brought to a local clinic and is reported to be in good condition. Authorities haven't released the names of the boy and his father.
Wrong-way driver killed, another hurt in I-93 crash
BOSTON - State police say one person died and another was injured in a wrong-way crash Sunday morning on Interstate 93 northbound near the entrance to the Tip O'Neill Tunnel.
Troopers said 53-year-old Idefonso Barros of Roxbury was driving a pickup truck the wrong way on the highway after entering at Frontage Road, and crashed into an SUV.
Authorities said Barros was ejected and later pronounced dead at Tufts Medical Center. The SUV driver was hospitalized with serious injuries. The driver of a third car involved in the accident wasn't hurt.
The accident happened shortly after 5:30 a.m. Police closed the entire northbound side of the highway for less than an hour. All lanes were reopened shortly before 8:30 a.m.
Infections from tampering may have started earlier
A New Hampshire attorney says a client contracted hepatitis C from a traveling hospital worker two years earlier than the period when he allegedly began spreading the disease.
Portsmouth attorney Michael Rainboth represents five patients allegedly infected by medical technician David Kwiatkowski, who has been accused of tampering with needles and infecting at least 31 people.
Rainboth told the Portsmouth Herald that his newest client, a 65-year-old Vietnam veteran, was infected in 2008 at the Baltimore VA Medical Center and that the hospital is taking responsibility. Prosecutors have said the earliest evidence that Kwiatkowski tested positive for hepatitis C was in 2010.
The hospital on its website says 168 patients had procedures involving Kwiatkowski in 2008, and that it has offered free hepatitis testing to 51 of them.