July 27, 2013

Polar bear mauls Maine lawyer after breaking through fence

Matthew Dyer, a Lewiston attorney, was attacked while camping in Torngat Mountains National Park in Canada.

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

This photo shows a view of the Nachvak Fjord in the Torngat Mountains National Park in Labrador, Canada. Maine resident Matthew Dyer was camping in this national park, near the Nachvak Fjord, when he was mauled by a polar bear Wednesday, July 26, 2013.

Photo courtesy of National Parks of Canada

click image to enlarge

Related headlines

TO SEE a photo of an electric fence like the one used by Dyer's group, go to

Deering said there are only six to 10 groups a year that embark on such a remote and elaborate land excursion like the group Dyer was with.

One such excursion is offered by the Sierra Club, which describes it in its literature as a "hike from fjord to fjord in the land of Inuit spirits and polar bears." The club's outing costs $6,000 and this year was to cover the final two weeks of July.

In addition to standard camping gear, organizers of that trip also provide "a satellite phone, bear canisters for securing food, bear-repellent spray, flare guns and an electric fence."

It was not known whether Dyer was part of the Sierra Club excursion or another group. A spokesman for the club's headquarters in California did not return a phone call Friday.

Most of the park's visitors come in cruise ships that land for brief periods, then leave the same day, Deering said.

People who enter the park must register with the park service and attend a mandatory safety briefing.

"It explains some of the challenges of traveling on the land and in particular covers the challenge of polar bears there and the risk when traveling on land," Deering said.

The park strongly recommends that groups hire an armed Inuit bear guard, specifically to look out for polar bears. The guides are hired from the local government, not the park, he said.

Dyer's group relied on an electrified bear fence, a portable enclosure that can be moved from campsite to campsite and is designed to keep bears out. It operates in a similar way to an electric fence used to corral cattle or horses, but has higher voltage, Deering said.

The park service is investigating whether the fence malfunctioned or if the bear's desire to get at the people inside overpowered the animal's fear of pain. The group had no firearms, Deering said.

Deering said he doesn't know exactly what happened but said the bear could have attacked with no provocation.

"Polar bears, as opposed to many other species of bear, they are true carnivores," Deering said. "They are predators. They hunt. They hunt things to eat. What precipitates a polar bear attack is you showing up on the landscape and them wanting something to eat."

Deering didn't know how the bear was holding Dyer, only that the animal dropped him when the group fired flares.

Deering said Dyer was lucky that one of the other hikers in the group was a physician.

"In a lot of ways, that's what saved Mr. Dyer's life," Deering said. "They arrived at the scene and Mr. Dyer was stable at the time."

After the attack, the group endured hours of waiting for rescue, with the bear that attacked -- and other bears -- apparently still prowling the area.

The group used a satellite phone to call for help, but was unable to get through to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's telecommunications center until about 6:30 a.m.

The RCMP forwarded the distress call to the park service, which immediately dispatched a helicopter that happened to be at the Torngat Mountains base camp.

The helicopter took more than an hour to arrive. A boat, dispatched as a backup plan, took 10 hours.

Rescue workers in the helicopter could see multiple polar bears in the area, probably including the one that attacked, Deering said.

"As best we can determine, the bear was still in the area," he said. "When we flew into the area, we saw several bears close to the camp area. ... We cannot imagine the distress the group was under at that point."

The helicopter flew back to base camp with the doctor and Dyer, who had "serious, significant trauma." Because of approaching storms from the south that could ground the helicopter, it took off and headed west into Quebec, Deering said. The rest of the camping party had to wait for the boat to arrive, he said.

From there, Dyer was loaded onto a fixed-wing aircraft and taken to a Montreal trauma center.

The website for Polar Bears International, an animal advocacy group, says attacks on humans are rare and usually because the bear was undernourished, frightened or provoked.

The group says encounters between humans and polar bears are expected to increase as sea ice melts and bears spend more time on shore.

David Hench can be contacted at 6327 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)