August 3, 2013

World War II airman is honored decades later

Hundreds of people line a highway in upstate New York to pay their respects to Sgt. Dominick Licari.

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. - Many saluted, some cried and a few held signs.

Dominick Licari
click image to enlarge

Sgt. Dominick Licari

Remains of Sgt. Dominick Licari return to Albany airport
click image to enlarge

The remains of Sgt. Dominick J. Licari of Frankfort, N.Y., a member of the Army Air Corps during World War II, arrive at the Albany International Airport on Friday afternoon.

The Associated Press

For 70 miles, hundreds of people paid their respects to a World War II airman who died in combat in the South Pacific almost 70 years ago and was finally returned home Friday.

Funeral director Vincent Iocovozzi, who escorted Sgt. Dominick Licari's remains from the Albany airport to the small town of Frankfort, said there's "only one word that describes this: unbelievable."

"He's a man who has been dead longer than most people have been alive, but he's a hero coming home," Iocovozzi said.

Veterans' groups, businesses and residents along a 10-mile stretch of the Mohawk Valley paid tribute to Licari as his remains made the journey home. Honor guards from Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion chapters were posted along Route 5 as the vehicle procession carrying his casket left the New York State Thruway at Little Falls and traveled to Frankfort, west of Albany.

A commercial flight carrying Licari's casket arrived at the Albany airport, and military pallbearers carried the casket from the plane to the hearse Friday, Iocovozzi said. Licari's brother and sister and several nieces and nephews were at the airport to accompany his casket back home, with the Patriot Guard motorcycle riders providing an escort, said the funeral director, a distant relative of the Licari family.

At Melrose Market, the windows facing the street were decorated with American flags and a sign that read: "Thank you and Welcome Home Sgt. Dominick Licari." Organizations and business owners along Route 5 posted signs in Licari's honor.

Licari was a 31-year-old gunner aboard a two-man Army Air Force A-20 Havoc bomber that crashed into a jungle-covered mountain in Papua New Guinea on March 13, 1944, while returning from a bombing raid on a Japanese airfield. The pilot, 2nd Lt. Valorie Pollard of Monterey, Calif., also was killed, along with four airmen in two of the mission's other A-20s that slammed into the mountain in bad weather.

Licari, one of nine children, was officially declared dead in 1946. Last month, U.S. military officials notified his two surviving siblings that his remains and those of Pollard were found and identified.

Licari's funeral and burial with full military honors are set for Tuesday in Frankfort. Gov. Andrew Cuomo directed lowering flags on state government buildings to half-staff Tuesday to honor Licari. Pollard's burial arrangements are pending.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)