Friday, April 18, 2014
Man hit in face by firework still in Boston hospital
A man who was struck in the face with a firework in Tilton, N.H., remains hospitalized with a serious eye injury.
WMUR-TV reports that the 48-year-old man was leaning over the tube holding the fireworks when one went off shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday. Police said he was taken to a Boston hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening.
The man's name has not been released, and police said no charges are expected.
Body of drowned fisherman is recovered near dam
New Hampshire State Police have recovered the body of a fisherman who drowned in the Merrimack River in Concord, N.H.
The Marine Patrol was called to the river below the Sewall's Falls Dam on Friday around 2 p.m.
A witness reported that a man had been fishing on the river's band, when he stepped into the water to retrieve an object, apparently lost his footing and stepped off a steep drop-off into the water.
Police say efforts by people on shore to rescue him were unsuccessful.
The Marine Patrol recovered the 59-year-old's body around 5:45 p.m. The man was identified as Gary Lacroix, of Concord.
Body found may be woman missing for weeks
Authorities say the body of an adult woman has been found in a wooded area in Unity, and they suspect that the remains are that of a woman who hasn't been seen in about two weeks.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game and New England K-9 Search and Rescue found the body Saturday. Officials say, based on information gathered in their investigation, it's suspected that the remains are those of Kelly Robarge.
The 42-year-old Robarge, of Charlestown, N.H., has not been seen since June 27. New Hampshire authorities have said they fear she suffered serious injury or death.
Deputy state's attorney for Windham County in Vermont, Steven Brown, has confirmed that James Robarge, Kelly Robarge's estranged husband, is a suspect in a missing persons case in New Hampshire.
An autopsy was to be done Sunday.
ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt.
Lawyer: Teen not aware of risk in vandalism spree
An 18-year-old man who pleaded no contest to charges he took part in a vandalism spree that destroyed 136 glass insulators on a high-voltage power line in Concord never would have participated if he would have known how dangerous it was, his attorney said.
Jordon Hamel, of Littleton, N.H., entered the plea last month in exchange for a three-year deferred sentence, community service and restitution. If he abides by the terms of his sentence the conviction will be wiped from his record.
Utility officials said the incident last October in the Top of The World area of Concord could have ended tragically with the 450,000 volts carried by the power lines arcing or being diverted into the ground, potentially electrocuting Hamel and others.
Hamel's attorney, Corby Gary, said his client would never have participated if he was aware of the danger.
"I don't think anyone knew there was that much power in those lines," Gary said. "It was quite a shock."
The destruction of the insulators caused an estimated $80,000 damage to the power line owned by the Vermont Electric Power Company.
In addition to the deferred sentence, Hamel agreed to perform 240 hours of community service and pay $500 restitution.
Last month, Patrick Brummer, of Bethlehem, N.H., pleaded guilty to a variety of charges. He is going to spend 60 days on a Vermont prison work crew.
– From news service reports