Wednesday, March 12, 2014
(Continued from page 1)
In this March 12, 2013 file photo, Mohammed Abdi with his attorney Clifford Strike. Prosecutors in the case against two Portland men accused of gang raping a woman at gunpoint last summer have been unable to find the woman since she moved out of state and have offered plea agreements to both men.
John Patriquin / Staff Photographer
One of the men had a handgun, loaded it in front of the woman and put it to her head, demanding that she perform a sex act on him. As she did, another man raped her. The other men then continued to sexually assault her, according to the affidavit.
Police responded at 2:47 a.m. to reports of a woman on Purchas Street yelling for help, saying she was going to be shot and had been raped by six men, the affidavit says.
Police obtained video footage of a black SUV from the Cumberland Farms on Woodford Street and recovered condoms, wrappers and bottles from the school grounds, Bailey said in the affidavit.
The judge told Mezan in court Wednesday that "the risk at trial would be substantially greater than three years" in prison.
"I understand," Mezan said.
Elam sought Wednesday to have Mezan tried in both gang-rape cases at the same time, but Mezan's attorney, Kristine Hanly, successfully opposed that motion, arguing that the cases are unrelated.
The judge said he will decide during the trial whether to allow details from the 2009 case to be presented.
Scott Dolan can be contacted at 791-6304 or at: