October 31, 2012

Maine-linked sex offender escapes on way to Colorado

By AMY CALDER Morning Sentinel

WATERVILLE – A convicted child sex offender police arrested earlier this month as a fugitive from justice escaped Monday from security officers in Kansas who were driving him back to Colorado.

The escapee, Deon Gregory Routt, 22, may return to Waterville, where he has family, Waterville Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey said. Routt is described as a black male who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with brown eyes and weighing 145 pounds.

Rumsey asked that anyone who sees Routt contact police at 680-4700.

Waterville police were notified of Routt's escape in Lawrence, Kan., at 5:30 p.m. Monday by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office in Colorado Springs, Colo.

According to a Kansas City Star story that ran online Tuesday, Routt was being driven Monday from Virginia to Colorado by private security officers and when the officers stopped the van to check on a prisoner, Routt escaped on foot.

Routt was convicted in 2011 for sexual assault on a child in Colorado Springs, and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Sex Offender site reports that he failed to register as a sex offender.

Sgt. Joe Roybal of the Colorado Springs sheriff's office said Tuesday that Routt is charged with failure to comply with the condition that he register as a sex offender.

He was scheduled to face the judge in Colorado who handled his initial sexual assault case.

"Here, if anybody fails to comply, once arrested, he is taken before the original judge who either re-releases him with conditions, imposes a partial sentence and releases him or imposes the full original sentence from the case," said Roybal.

On Oct. 11, Waterville police went to 13 Oak St., Apt. 2, to find Routt. Routt's family members denied he was in the apartment but police searched it and found him hiding there, Rumsey said. He was taken to Kennebec County Jail in Augusta, and later, the extradition process began.

The Colorado Springs Police Department was seeking his return, according to Roybal.

A call placed late Tuesday afternoon to that police department's public information officer was not immediately returned.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)