Friday, December 6, 2013
By BETTY ADAMS Kennebec Journal
(Continued from page 1)
The pre-sentencing report says the victim came forward after seeing Conrad with a young man and "was concerned that Conrad might be continuing to do the same thing to other children."
"He felt no one should have to go through what he did," wrote Jane Staples, the probation and parole officer who prepared the pre-sentencing report. "He described the past six years as being very painful for him."
The report shows Conrad met the boy through Scouts and became friendly with him and his family, inviting him and other boys to his home for sleepovers and buying various presents for the boy.
Today, that's called "grooming the victim."
The sexual abuse continued, the report says, over a six-month period, stopping only after a member of the victim's family advised the boy to stop seeing Conrad.
The impact the abuse had on the boy is contained in a separate victim impact statement in the pre-sentencing report.
The statement says the boy, at least initially, had a great deal of respect for Conrad, who was the assistant Scoutmaster.
Just before the sentencing, the boy told the officer, "He's sick, but I still feel he should be punished." At that point, the boy said he planned to continue counseling because it helped him get things back into perspective.
As part of Conrad's sentence, he was ordered to pay $3,000 to the District Attorney's Office, and that money was to be held in trust for a year for counseling for the victim. The pre-sentencing report shows that the boy previously sought counseling, using wages from his part-time job to fund it.
The pre-sentence report also notes that Conrad, who was single, had become involved in the Big Brothers Program and the Mormon Church Youth Program. The documents contain no other information about his connection with those groups.
BANNED FROM SCOUTS
Staples' report notes that Conrad's "primary concerns appear to be on the negative ramifications to him in terms of family, work and church."
"His awareness and concern for the psychological damage to his victims has not been apparent in any way," the report states.
It also says Conrad told Maine State Police investigators that the sexual contact with the victim was limited to 10 to 20 encounters, which was less than the victim described, and that "he had never forced (the boy) or anyone to do anything."
Conrad also admitted having oral sex with five other boys -- whose relationship with him was not specified -- as well as several boys in New York.
Conrad would not comment on those reports in the interview Thursday.
Conrad's court documents show a series of addresses for him, including an apartment on Green Street in Augusta, a rural address in Hallowell, Pond Road in Manchester and finally in Lawrence.
He was registered with Troop 647 of Hallowell from 1977 until he resigned in 1979.
A Scout executive with the Pine Tree Council Inc., Boy Scouts of America, Haynes Harbaugh, wrote to the national organization on Dec. 16, 1982, that Maine State Police told him that day about Conrad's arrest "on a morals and sodomy charge." Harbaugh wrote more details would follow after the trial "with the proper information for your confidential file."
There was no trial.
The national Boy Scout organization shows a July 26, 1984, date for Conrad's listing as an ineligible volunteer, meaning he was banned from registering with the organization again.
Conrad had no previous criminal record, was honorably discharged from the Navy in 1969, and had spent the next 13 years working for the federal government, first with the Internal Revenue Service and then as an air traffic control specialist with the Federal Aviation Administration. That career ended with the sentencing.
Conrad is registered as a sex offender in Massachusetts.
Kennebec Journal Staff Writer Betty Adams can be contacted at 621-5631 or at: