November 28, 2012

Witnesses: Maine suspect high on day of murder

The defendant in a fatal shooting in Anson turned up wasted at a birthday party, several people say.

By RACHEL OHM Morning Sentinel

SKOWHEGAN – Robert Nelson was high on drugs the day Everett L. Cameron was murdered, friends and family testified Wednesday.

click image to enlarge

Robert Nelson is led into Somerset Superior Court in Skowhegan on Monday for the first day of his trial in the shooting death of Everett L. Cameron.

David Leaming / Staff Photographer

It was the third day of Nelson's trial in Somerset County Superior Court on charges he shot Cameron to death in Anson on Oct. 31, 2009.

Witnesses Wednesday testified that Nelson had a drug problem that escalated that day at a birthday party for Nelson's 4-year-old daughter.

"Up until that point he had kept it a secret that he was using drugs," said Allison MacMillon, Nelson's ex-girlfriend and his daughter's mother. "He wouldn't use them around his family. I hadn't seen him like that before. He was clearly not acting like a sober person."

She said she noticed when he arrived at the party that he was on drugs and spoke to him outside. He was falling asleep standing up and half of a white pill fell out of his pocket during their conversation, she said.

Ellen Howell, Nelson's aunt, testified she spoke with him that day about getting into a drug rehab program after seeing him play roughly with his daughter.

She said he was not belligerent or argumentative, but he appeared to be tired and didn't have control over his body. "He was obviously under the influence of drugs," she said.

A family friend, Amanda Shaw, said she and her boyfriend left the party early because they were uncomfortable with Nelson's behavior.

Nelson spent most of the day and the evening before with his then-girlfriend Katie White.

White, 21, testified Wednesday that she knew Cameron supplied Nelson with oxycodone pills. They met three or four times a month on Town Farm Road in Anson, the road where Cameron was found dead from a gunshot wound in his pickup truck.

On the day of the murder, White said, Nelson left around 2 p.m. for the party. White said he came back to the house about 15 minutes later and told her he met with Cameron and paid him money he owed.

Police estimate that Cameron was killed sometime between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., when his body was found.

Nelson washed his face and changed his shirt before leaving again, White said.

White said that Nelson seemed fine when he left the house, although he was "screwed up on drugs" when he returned home later that evening.

Lynn Ledger, Nelson's current girlfriend, testified he left the party with her that day. She followed him to a parking lot, where she watched him snort two lines of crushed white powder. She said she later followed him home because she was concerned about him driving. She also dated Nelson a few years before, and said it ended because of his drug problem.

The trial resumes at 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

Morning Sentinel Staff Writer Rachel Ohm can be contacted at 612-2368 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)