June 27, 2013

Yarmouth residents still dazed by destruction

A day after a tremendous gas explosion, neighbors describe the powerful impact of the 6 a.m. blast that rocked their street.

By Matt Byrne mbyrne@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

YARMOUTH – Robert MacKay lingered on his front lawn after retrieving his morning newspaper Tuesday, admiring a blooming garden. That's when the home next door exploded.

click image to enlarge

Dee Dyer-Reich ducks under police tape at Gables Drive in Yarmouth Wednesday, as she goes to retrieve medication from her father's condo that was damaged in the Tuesday blast.

Gabe Souza / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Rosemary MacKay comforts her husband, Robert, in blue, Wednesday afternoon as they survey the remains of their house at 52 Gables Drive in Yarmouth. The structure was condemned after an explosion on Tuesday killed their neighbor, Peter Corey, and severely damaged their house, along with others on the street. At left is Yarmouth fire chief Michael Robitaille, and at right is deputy chief Rich Kindelan, along with the MacKay's daughter, Alison Moore, at far right.

Gabe Souza / Staff Photographer

Related headlines

Vernelle Dyer was in his living room, watching tennis on TV, when his house shook.

Mary Halsey, who had barely moved into her new condominium on Gables Drive, was asleep on an air mattress in her empty home when debris began to fly.

A day after their neighborhood was rocked by an explosion that killed 66-year-old Peter Corey and leveled his home, residents of Gables Drive were still grappling Wednesday with the extent of the destruction.

"I don't think the shock has arrived yet," said MacKay, who lived with his wife at 52 Gables Drive, the unit attached to 50 Gables Drive, which blew up shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday.

MacKay, 83, said he got up early Tuesday and walked outside to get his newspaper. Then, the shock wave hit him.

"There was a tremendous boom and a tremendous flash of yellow and orange light," he said.

He heard the sound of splintered lumber crashing to the ground. Flakes of gray insulation floated through the air.

"It was like it was a midwinter blizzard," he said. "My only thought was, 'My wife is in the house, and I have to call 911.'"

Rosemary MacKay was making coffee inside when she was thrown into the air, landed on her back and was hit by debris. She and her husband escaped with only scrapes and bruises.

Investigators have yet to pinpoint the source of the propane leak that likely fueled the blast. They are still searching for pieces of propane-powered appliances from 50 Gables Drive.

"We're trying to gather all the pieces and put them together," said Sgt. Joel Davis of the state Fire Marshal's Office. He said investigators will know more once the state medical examiner completes an autopsy on Corey's remains.

Some residents of condo units farther from 50 Gables Drive were allowed back into their homes Wednesday. Residents of units that were closer to the explosion were allowed in only to retrieve belongings.

Structural engineers who evaluated the homes marked those they deemed uninhabitable with brightly colored X's. Engineers determined that the six units farthest from the blast were safe to reoccupy, while the other eight remained off limits, according to the fire department. At least three of the homes have been condemned.

The town plowed debris to the end of the dead-end street, piling it up like a snowbank after a storm.

"Not in a million years did I think something like this would happen on a quiet street in Yarmouth, Maine," said Halsey, who is 63.

"People were walking around in a fog," she said. "They were just numb."

After her husband, Dennis, died in February, Halsey decided to move from York, Pa., to Yarmouth to be closer to her children and grandchildren. She closed on the purchase of her home only four days before the explosion.

She embraced Police Chief Michael Morrill when he and firefighters helped retrieve her few possessions: a couple of suitcases, toiletries, documents and, perhaps most important, the remains of her late husband.

Dyer, 94, who lives across the street from where Corey lived, was relieved to learn that his house suffered only minor damage and will not have to be torn down and rebuilt.

"I think we fared better than most people," said his daughter, Dee Dyer-Reich, of her father's home. "We're happy that he is alive."

On Wednesday afternoon, MacKay returned to the neighborhood to survey the remains of his home.

Rosemary MacKay recalled how, as they stood on their front lawn minutes after the explosion, her husband stared at their destroyed home.

"He said, 'Rosemary, we've lost everything,'" she said. 

"I was looking at him and said, 'No, we have each other.'"

Matt Byrne can be contacted at 791-6303 or at:


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)