Thursday, December 12, 2013
(Continued from page 1)
Sylvester Stallone brandishes a gun in “Bullet to the Head,” a movie reviewed in the Jan. 31 edition of GO. Several photos in the Jan. 31 GO portray actors wielding guns, notes a reader who believes that violent entertainment desensitizes people to real-life shootings.
Re: "Another View: Climate change deniers ignore proof of a rapidly heating planet" (Jan. 29) by Jon C. Gale Jr.:
Many people know the Earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years. They also acknowledge that man is a contributing factor and that we have to do something about what we can control.
There are a few environmental questions I would like answers to, but who to ask? Not Hollywood phonies, not the left-wing media, not Al "Green" Gore, not the suspect scientists. My questions:
• Why do Democrats insist that climate change is all man-made, no natural factors, no climate history to be considered?
• I would like to know: How did the Earth warm up from previous ice ages when there were no man-made greenhouse gases?
• What does "carbon footprint" actually mean?
Some plausible answers:
• The main reason is that the biggest constituency of the Democratic Party is trial lawyers and there will be lots for them to do, as Big Government steps up regulation and legal action.
• Could it be the sun; its orbit changes and temperature changes?
• There are so many variables involved in climate, none of which can be controlled. How can scientific experiments on climate change be possible? Is this why it is easier to say that only man is responsible for it?
Single-payer system would provide better, cheaper care
Almost everyone knows that many European countries have better health care than the USA, and it is much cheaper. Even members of Congress know that.
What would "single-payer" mean? There would be no private health insurance, there would be no drug advertising. All doctors would be salaried.
All charges and salaries would be set by a national board of health, made up of representatives of the medical specialities, medical schools and presidential appointees from among public health officials, representatives from Wharton School of Finance and presidential appointees from among the public.
What would it mean in savings? The experience of providing health care to millions in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan has proven that they can do it for 2 percent of the gross domestic product, a savings over the 15 percent of GDP that it is now costing us.
Philip Thompson, M.D.
Cutler should change voting process or run as Democrat
If Eliot Cutler wants to have a positive effect on Maine politics, rather than being "Eliot the Despoiler," he should apply his energies to getting instant runoff voting established in Maine in elections for governor.
Otherwise, he should either run as a Democrat or stay out of the race in 2014, because as an independent, he is no better than a stalking horse -- even if, in reality, he's just an opportunist willing to risk the health of our state when the stakes are too high.