Sunday, April 20, 2014
From staff and news services
GORHAM — John Swords scored 25 points on 12-of-13 shooting and also pulled down 16 rebounds to lead Bowdoin to a 67-56 victory over Southern Maine in a nonconference men’s basketball game at Hill Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas rejects a shot by Indiana’s Troy Williams in Tuesday night’s game at Syracuse, N.Y. The Orange improved to 8-0 with a 69-52 win.
The Associated Press
Trailing 33-25 at halftime, the Huskies rallied to cut the deficit to 40-38 with 12:17 left in the game, but Bowdoin responded with seven straight points to regain control.
USM got as close as three points later in the half before the Polar Bears went on a 10-2 run to put the game out of reach.
Andrew Madlinger and Keegan Pieri added 10 points apiece for the Polar Bears.
The Huskies were led by Tyler Penney (17 points) and Cole Libby (14).
ST. JOSEPH’S 82, JOHNSON & WALES 63: Nich Jobin scored 17 of his game-high 25 points in the second half as the Monks (2-4, 1-0) pulled away from the Wildcats (1-4, 0-1) in a GNAC opener at Standish.
Matt Medeiros and Zach Blodgett added 18 points apiece for the Monks, who led 45-39 at halftime and opened the second half with an 8-0 run.
(2) ARIZONA 79, TEXAS TECH 58: Aaron Gordon scored 19 points, Nick Johnson and Brandon Ashley added 18 each as the Wildcats (8-0) beat the visiting Red Raiders (6-3).
(4) SYRACUSE 69, INDIANA 52: Trevor Cooney scored 21 points, Tyler Ennis added 17 points and eight assists, and the Orange (8-0) beat the Hoosiers (6-2) in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge at Syracuse, N.Y.
Syracuse has won 46 straight nonconference games at home.
(10) DUKE 79, (22) MICHIGAN 69: Quinn Cook had 24 points and nine assists to help the Blue Devils (7-2) top the Wolverines (5-3) at Durham, N.C.
(21) UMASS 69, EASTERN MICHIGAN 57: Raphiel Putney scored 15 points, including two high-flying dunks in the final minutes, and the Minutemen (7-0) won their first game as a ranked team since November 1998, beating the Eagles (5-2) at Ypsilanti, Mich.
(23) IOWA 98, NOTRE DAME 93: Aaron White scored 20 points, Devyn Marble and Jarrod Uthoff added 17 each and the Hawkeyes (8-1) beat the visiting Fighting Irish (5-2).
(7) LOUISVILLE 91, MISSOURI STATE 49: Shoni Schimmel scored 14 points, Bria Smith added 12 and the Cardinals (8-1) ripped the Bears (1-5) at Louisville, Ky.
The Cardinals played most of the game without senior guard Antonita Slaughter after she collapsed and was taken off the court on a stretcher early in the first half. A Louisville spokesman said Slaughter was awake and alert, and undergoing tests.
(9) BAYLOR 113, SAN JOSE ST. 73: Odyssey Sims scored 29 points and had 13 assists to become the school career leader in that category as the Bears (7-0) beat the Spartans (4-4) at Waco, Texas.
(13) LSU 83, INDIANA STATE 66: Raigyne Moncrief scored 22 points to lead the Tigers (7-1) over the Sycamores (3-2) at Baton Rouge, La.
BOWDOIN 5, NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE 2: Colleen Finnerty scored the go-ahead goal with 10:34 left as the Polar Bears (3-2) scored three times in just over two minutes midway through the third period to pull away from the Pilgrims (1-7) at Brunswick.
Finnerty and Schuyler Nardelli finished with one goal and one assist apiece for the Polar Bears, and Aliya Feroe collected a pair of assists.
Madeline Lane, Rachel Kennedy and Maddy Hall added one goal apiece for Bowdoin, which trailed 2-0 early in the first period.