Thursday, April 17, 2014
From staff and news services
NEW YORK — Ashleigh Roberts scored 19 points, and Lauren Bodine tallied 15 on five 3-pointers as the University of Maine women’s basketball team improved to 3-0 for the first time since 1989 with a 66-50 victory over the Long Island University-Brooklyn Blackbirds (0-4).
Bodine hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer as the Black Bears closed out the final three minutes of the first half with a 9-2 run to take a 33-23 lead. Bodine opened the second half with a 3 from the corner, and the Black Bears widened the lead to as many as 21 points.
COLBY 55, THOMAS 21: Carylanne Wolfington scored 23 points, including five 3-pointers, while powering the Mules (3-1) to a non-conference victory against visiting Thomas (0-4).
Colby darted out to a 12-2 lead just 3:30 into the game and extended the margin to 22-7 before settling for a 26-13 halftime advantage. Colby kept the Terriers without a point for the opening 8:36 of play in the second half while widening the lead to 38-13.
(1) UCONN 96, BOSTON UNIVERSITY 38: Stefanie Dolson followed up her first triple-double with a 23-point, 10-rebound performance as the host Huskies routed the Terriers in the opening round of the Hall of Fame Challenge tournament.
BOWDOIN 3, COLBY 1: Ollie Koo scored just 43 seconds into the game as Bowdoin (1-1-1, 1-1-1 NESCAC) beat the Mules (1-2-1, 0-2-1) in Waterville.
The Polar Bears took a 2-0 lead later in the first period on a goal by Jay Livermore.
Colby cut the lead to 2-1 on Geoff Sullivan’s second-period score, but Bowdoin iced the win when Harry Matheson converted a two-on-one.
Max Fenkell stopped 31 shots for the Polar Bears, while Sam Parker had 30 saves for Colby.
SOUTHERN MAINE 4, UNE 1: Mike Greene and Jamie Osborne each scored a goal and assisted on two others as the Huskies (3-3) beat the University of New England (2-4-1) in Gorham.
Alex Pompeo and Sam Blanchet also scored for Southern Maine.
Dylan Wells stopped 28 shots for the Huskies. Ian Edwards stopped 24 for the Nor’easters.
SOUTHERN MAINE 1, NICHOLS 0: Ally Vanidestine’s goal with 1:58 left was the difference as Southern Maine (5-0, 4-0) edged the Bison (0-4, 0-3) in an ECAC West game at Harrisville, R.I.
Liz Bergstrom made 26 saves for the shutout.
UNE 4, SACRED HEART 4: Heather Daley poked the puck just inside the left post with 33.9 seconds left in regulation to lift Sacred Heart (1-4-2) into a tie with the Nor’easters (2-2-3).
Hanna Skelley had knocked in a rebound to pull the Pioneers within 4-3 with just over five minutes left in regulation.
Jenni Poulin led the University of New England with two goals. .
COLBY 3, BOWDOIN 2: Carolyn Fuwa’s goal with 20 seconds left in overtime gave the Mules a win over the Polar Bears.
(2) KANSAS 88, TOWSON 58: Andrew Wiggins scored 16 points, Andrew White III added 13 and the Jayhawks (4-0) raced to a convincing victory to open the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in Lawrence, Kan.
(10) VA. COMMONWEALTH 73, LONG BEACH STATE 67: Rob Brandenberg scored 19 points to help Virginia Commonwealth rally, then hang on to win in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
(14) MICHIGAN 82, FLORIDA STATE 80: Nik Stauskas scored 26 points, including seven in OT, as the Wolverines (4-1) erased a 16-point second-half deficit to beat the Seminoles in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
(18) UCONN 59, INDIANA 58: Shabazz Napier scored 27 points, including 11 over the final 7 minutes, to lead the Huskies in the title game of the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project in New York.
UMASS 81, (19) NEW MEXICO 65: Chaz Williams scored 19 points as Massachusetts ran past tired New Mexico to reach the Charleston Classic championship.