Wednesday, April 16, 2014
From staff and news services
NEWARK, N.J. — Terrence Smith scored 22 points and Damon Lynn added 19 as New Jersey Institute of Technology defeated Maine 81-72 on Wednesday night.
Charles Mitchell of Maryland, left, works for a rebound against Trey McDonald of Ohio State in the second half of fifth-ranked Ohio State’s 76-60 victory Wednesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
The Associated Press
NJIT also beat the Black Bears 88-82 on Nov. 19 at Maine.
The Highlanders (5-4) used 51.6 percent shooting in the first half to take a nine-point lead.
Trailing by 20 at 10:34 of the second half, Maine (2-5) made a couple of runs before closing within five points with 1:05 left on a pair of free throws by Dimitry Akanda-Coronel. But the Highlanders hit 7 of 8 free throws from there.
EASTERN NAZARENE 69, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 61: Eastern Nazarene (6-0, 1-0 Commnwealth Coast) converted 10 free throws to close the game on a 12-4 run and pull away from the Nor’easters (0-6, 0-1) at Quincy, Mass.
Jaylen Owens scored 21 points for the Lions, including five of Eastern Nazarene’s final 12 points. Eric Lynch contributed 12 points and Justin Wagner 11. Devin Thompson had 17 points to lead the Nor’easters. Kurt Steiner added 12 points, and Brayden Morse posted 11 points and 11 rebounds.
(5) OHIO STATE 76, MARYLAND 60: LaQuinton Ross scored 17 of his 20 points in the first half, hitting his first four 3-pointers, to lead Ohio State (7-0) to an early lead against Maryland (5-3) in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Columbus, Ohio.
(7) LOUISVILLE 90, MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY 62: Montrezl Harrell scored 14 points to lead five players in double figures for Louisville (7-1) against visiting Missouri-Kansas City (1-6).
(8) WISCONSIN 48, VIRGINIA 38: Josh Gasser scored 11 points and Wisconsin (9-0) won a defensive struggle against Virginia (7-2) in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Charlottesville, Va., giving Coach Bo Ryan his 300th victory with the Badgers.
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 69, EASTERN NAZARENE 54: Meghan Gribbin led the University of New England (5-1, 1-0) with a game-high 15 points in just 16 minutes as the team opened defense of its Commonwealth Coast Conference championship by downing the Lions (3-3, 0-1) at Quincy, Mass.
Kelly Coleman and Sadie DiPierro had 11 points apiece for the Nor’easters; Alicia Brown chipped in eight points and 10 rebounds.
Christina Saint-Pierre had 14 points and 10 rebounds to pace Eastern Nazarene. Michelle Herrera added 13 points and Ruby Leon 10.
BATES 80, COLBY 75: Meredith Kelly scored 12 of her 30 points in overtime and also starred defensively in the final seconds as Bates (5-3) beat the Mules (3-4) in a nonconference game at Waterville.
Kelly sank a pair of free throws with 22 seconds left in overtime to widen the Bobcats’ lead to 78-75. She then stole the ball and scored to increase the lead to 80-75 with 12 seconds left before ending Colby’s final possession with another steal.
(8) MARYLAND 67, OHIO STATE 55: Alyssa Thomas had 25 points and 12 rebounds, and Maryland (8-1) overcame a shaky first half to defeat Ohio State (6-4) in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at College Park, Md.
(18) NORTH CAROLINA 75, (15) NEBRASKA 62: Xylina McDaniel hit 11 of 15 shots and scored a game-high 25 points to lead host North Carolina (7-2) over Nebraska (6-2).
WASHINGTON: The school selected Marques Tuiasosopo as its interim head coach for the upcoming bowl game after Steve Sarkisian left to take the head coaching job at USC.