February 25

Eastern Class A hockey: Brunswick advances, 1-0

The Dragons beat Lawrence/Skowhegan to reach the semifinals.

By Bill Stewart bstewart@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

WINSLOW — Matt Brooks scored in the second period and Blake Alexander posted the shutout behind a strong defense Tuesday as fifth-seeded Brunswick shut out fourth-seeded Lawrence/Skowhegan 1-0 in an Eastern Class A schoolboy hockey quarterfinal.

click image to enlarge

Brunswick goalie Blake Alexander keeps his eye on a loose puck as Brady Martin, right, of Lawrence/Skowhegan looks to get the rebound while being defended by Matt Brooks of Brunswick. Brooks scored in a 1-0 victory.

Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

click image to enlarge

Tyler Sullivan of Brunswick knocks the puck away from Chase Nelson of Lawrence/Skowhegan in the second period. Brunswick will meet Bangor in the Eastern Class A semifinals Saturday.

Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

The Dragons (10-7-2) will meet top-seeded Bangor (15-3) in a semifinal Saturday at Lewiston.

Alexander posted 25 saves. Sam Edmondson had 30 saves for Lawrence/Skowhegan (12-7).

“It’s really tough,” Lawrence/Skowhegan Coach Ted Fabian said. “It’s tough because of the season we had. We were clicking.

“We didn’t quit. It was a great season. We came together as two communities. It’s just tough to have it end.”

The evenly matched teams had ample chances, but the game remained scoreless until Brooks beat Edmondson with 3:37 left in the second period.

Tyler Sullivan, stationed to the right of the net, chipped the puck to Brooks, who cut across the low slot and tucked the puck into the back of the net.

“(Sullivan) picked up the puck and I called for it,” Brooks said. “I was on the left side, and when I got the puck I made a little move and shot it to the far side.”

Alexander and the Brunswick defense did the rest, silencing Lawrence/Skowhegan the rest of the way.

“It was a classic playoff game,” Brunswick Coach Mike Routhier said. “We came out gung-ho and so did they. I think our experience was a factor, though. We have a lot of mileage on this team.”

Lawrence/Skowhegan had a few chances to pull even in the final five minutes, but Alexander came up with a few big saves.

The teams played at a frantic pace in the opening period, particularly in a wild final six minutes.

But the game stayed scoreless thanks to both goaltenders.

Alexander stoned Trey Michonski with a chest save with 5:38 left in the period.

Michonski took a pass from Nelson at the offensive blue line, circled down the left side and ripped a shot that was headed to the far post.

But Alexander slid across the crease to make the stop.

“We had our chances,” Fabian said. “We just couldn’t capitalize. We just couldn’t get that one bounce.”

About a minute later Edmondson came up with a big save on Ryan Maciejewski, whose one-timer from the low slot appeared headed for the back of the net.

Edmondson then stopped Maciejewski again, this time on a mini two-on-one rush with 3:32 left in the period.

“We gave it everything we had,” Fabian said. “All game long we had our chances, but we just couldn’t get one in. It was tough.”

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



More PPH Blogs

2014 Boston Marathon


High School Football 2013

Fall sports photos