Monday, March 10, 2014
The Associated Press
BURLINGTON, Vt. — Ashleigh Roberts and Liz Wood each scored 17 points to lead the University of Maine women’s basketball team to 69-52 win over Vermont in an America East conference game Wednesday at Patrick Gym.
Virginia’s Joe Harris heads to the floor as he and Boston College guard Lonnie Jackson go for a rebound in Wednesday night’s game in Charlottesville, Va. Virginia won, 77-67.
The Associated Press
It was Maine’s first win in nine games at Vermont, and its second win over the Catamounts (6-17, 3-7) this season. Maine (12-11, 6-4) beat the Catamounts 92-62 at Orono on Jan. 14.
The Black Bears made five 3-pointers to break the program record for 3s in a season of 172. Maine has 177 with six games remaining in the regular season.
Sigi Koizar, Sophie Weckstrom and Chantel Charles each finished with seven points for Maine.
(12) OKLAHOMA STATE 76, KANSAS 74: Roshunda Johnson and Brittney Martin each converted 1 of 2 free throws in the final 19 seconds to allow Oklahoma State (19-3, 8-3 Big 12) to hold off a late threat from Kansas (11-12, 4-7) at Stillwater, Okla.
(4) WICHITA STATE 65, INDIANA STATE 58: Cleanthony Early scored 19 points and Tekele Cotton added 14 as the Shockers (24-0, 11-0 Missouri Valley) topped the Sycamores (17-6, 8-3) at Terre Haute, Ind.
The Shockers extended their school-record winning streak and improved to 11-0 in conference play for the first time in school history. They have won three straight in the series.
(5) SAN DIEGO STATE 67, BOISE STATE 65: Dwayne Polee II hit a 3-pointer with four seconds left as the Aztecs (20-1, 9-0 Mountain West) rallied from a 14-point deficit to stun the host Broncos (15-8, 5-5).
(10) MICHIGAN 79, NEBRASKA 50: Freshman Zak Irvin scored all 16 of his points in the first half, and the Wolverines (17-5, 9-1 Big Ten) breezed to a victory over the visiting Cornhuskers (11-10, 3-6).
Glenn Robinson III led Michigan with 23 points, and Caris LeVert added 16 points with five assists and seven rebounds.
(13) SAINT LOUIS 65,SAINT JOSEPH'S 49: Rob Loe scored 17 points, and Jordair Jett had 10 points and seven assists to help lead the visiting Billikens (21-2, 8-0 Atlantic 10) to a team-record 15th straight victory.
Ronald Roberts Jr. had 19 points for the Hawks (15-7, 5-3), who missed 14 of 15 3-point attempts.
(14) LOUSIVILLE 77, HOUSTON 62: Russ Smith scored 17 points as the Cardinals (19-4, 8-2 American) beat the Cougars (11-12, 3-7) at Houston.
Luke Hancock added 15 points, hitting 8 of 9 free throws, and Montrezl Harrell also had 15 for the Cardinals.
The Cardinals shot just under 70 percent from the field in the first half in building a 19-point halftime lead.
(20) VIRGINIA 77, BOSTON COLLEGE 67: Malcolm Brogdon had 17 points, a career-best 11 rebounds and seven assists, and the Cavaliers (18-5, 9-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) used two big first-half runs to take command and beat the visiting Eagles (6-16, 2-7).
Ryan Anderson scored 20 points to lead the Eagles, who lost for the ninth time in 11 games.
WEST VIRGINIA 91, (21) OKLAHOMA 86: Eron Harris scored 26 of his 28 points after halftime and the Mountaineers (14-9, 6-4 Big 12) outlasted the visiting Sooners (17-6, 6-4) in overtime.
Juwan Staten added 20 points, 10 rebounds and six assists for the Mountaineers, who won their third straight.
(25) PITTSBURGH 59, MIAMI 55: Lamar Patterson scored 25 points to help the visiting Panthers (19-4, 7-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) end a two-game losing streak by beating the Hurricanes (11-11, 2-7) at Coral Gables, Fla.
Patterson made 1 of 2 free throws with 10.6 seconds left to give the Panthers a 57-55 lead. Rion Brown’s pass as he drove toward the basket was intercepted by Patterson, who made two free throws to seal the victory.