Saturday, March 8, 2014
From staff and news services
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Michael Snaer scored 19 points and freshman Aaron Thomas had a career-high 15 points as Florida State routed Maine 91-59 in a men's basketball game on Sunday.
Terry Whisnant had 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting and Okaro White scored 13 for Florida State (5-4), which snapped a three-game losing streak.
Justin Edwards had 19 points and 12 rebounds and Dimitry Akandra-Coronel had 11 points for Maine (3-6), which shot just 33.9 percent (21 of 62) and had 19 turnovers.
Snaer had 12 points as Florida State (5-4) pulled ahead 41-27 at halftime.
(16) CREIGHTON 77, AKRON 61: Doug McDermott scored 30 points for the Bluejays (9-1), who broke away late in the first half at Omaha, Neb.
(21) UNLV 76, CALIFORNIA 75: Quintrell Thomas grabbed Anthony Marshall's air ball under the basket and scored on a short hook shot with 1.2 seconds remaining to lift UNLV to the win at Berkeley, Calif.
(4) DUKE 60, ST. JOHNS 42: Elizabeth Williams had 16 points and five blocks to help Duke win at New York in the seventh annual Maggie Dixon Classic.
Haley Peters added 11 points for the Blue Devils (8-0), who are off for the next week for exams.
(7) KENTUCKY 68, MIDDLE TENNESSEE 46: DeNesha Stallworth had 16 points as the Wildcats (8-1) used a first-half surge to win at Lexington, Ky.
(10) PENN STATE 97, GEORGETOWN 74: Maggie Lucas scored a career-high 39 points and ignited Penn State's potent transition game in a rout of sloppy Georgetown at State College, Pa.
Lucas, Penn State's prolific shooting guard, was 11 of 21 from the field including 7 of 13 from 3-point territory.
She had 26 alone in the first half as Penn State (7-2) led by as much as 34.
(15) PURDUE 68, TENNESSEE MARTIN 60: Sam Ostarello scored 14 of her 16 points in the second half and Taylor Manuel also scored 16 as Purdue overcame a challenge from the Skyhawks (4-7) to win at Martin, Tenn.
The Boilermakers (9-1) opened the second half with a 15-0 run, including nine points by Ostarello, to lead 40-29.
UNE 6, STEVENSON 4: The Nor'easters (1-6) scored three third-period goals to cap a come-from-behind victory over the Mustangs (4-4) at Biddeford.
It was the first win for the new UNE women's hockey program.
Trailing 4-1 in the second period, Jenni Poulin notched consecutive goals 27 seconds apart. Marissa Clifford-Biederman found the cage off the opening faceoff of the third to knot the score.
Poulin and Clifford-Biederman then added goals, giving each of them a hat trick.
Nor'easters goalie Samantha Scobee finished with 40 saves.
DARTMOUTH 4, MAINE 2: Camille Dumais had a goal and two assists to lead the Big Green (6-4-2) past the Black Bears (2-12-1) at Orono.
Kayla Kaluzny and Shawna Lesperance tallied for the Black Bears while goalie Brittany Ott made 32 saves.