Monday, March 10, 2014
From staff and news services
ORONO - Alasdair Fraser scored 17 points as Maine rallied from a nine-point, second-half deficit to defeat Boston University 63-58 Wednesday night in the America East Conference opener for both teams.
lIllinois guard Joseph Bertrand, right, and Purdue forward D.J. Byrd dive for a loose ball in first-half action of Wednesday’s game in West Lafayette, Ind.
The Associated Press
The Black Bears (6-8), who won their third straight game, took their first lead after the break with 2:19 to go on Xavier Pollard's jumper. After Fraser's jumper with 1:09 left made it 59-55, the teams swapped free throws.
Maurice Watson Jr.'s layup closed the gap to 60-58 with 31 seconds remaining, but Fraser hit two foul shots three seconds later and the Terriers could not score again.
Pollard added 13 points and Justin Edwards 10, while Mike Allison had 11 rebounds for Maine, which dominated the glass, 35-26.
WPI 58, ST. JOSEPH'S 45: Ryan Kolb led the Engineers (11-0) with 13 points as they raced out to a 33-19 halftime lead and held off the Monks (6-2) at Standish.
Matthew Medeiros made four 3-pointers and finished with a game-high 16 points to pace St. Joseph's, and Nicholas Jobin pulled down nine rebounds.
BOWDOIN 75, PLYMOUTH STATE 53: Sophomore Keegan Pieri scored 18 points to lead Bowdoin (6-2) over Plymouth State (2-8) at Plymouth, N.H.
Bowdoin never trailed in the game, winning its fifth straight contest. The Polar Bears led 39-24 at the half and Plymouth State was never able to cut into it in the second half.
COLBY 74, ROGER WILLIAMS 50: Chris Hudnut scored a career-high 24 points and also pulled down eight rebounds to lead the Mules (3-7) to a win over the Hawks (4-6) in the consolation game of the Naismith Classic in Springfield, Mass.
Danny Chase chipped in with 19 points and Connor O'Neil added 11 points, including three 3-pointers, for the Mules.
SOUTHERN MAINE 73, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 57: Alex Kee scored a game-high 22 points and James Odneal added 16 as the Huskies (6-5) held the Nor'easters (1-7) to 19 points in the second half to rally for a win at Gorham.
ST. JOSEPH'S 58, LYNDON STATE 44: Lindsay Moore and Morgan Cahill scored 14 points apiece to lead the Monks (5-5) to a victory against the Hornets (3-4) at Standish.
Moore also grabbed 15 rebounds and Danyelle Shufelt added 12 points for the Monks.
SOUTHERN MAINE 73, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 62: Jordan Grant finished with 19 points, 11 rebounds and eight steals, and Nicole Garland added 15 points and eight assists to lead the Huskies (11-0) to a victory against the Nor'easters (5-3) at Gorham.
The Huskies opened the game with a 17-3 run and led 42-30 at halftime.
UNE was unable to get closer than nine points in the second half.
COLBY 3, SALEM STATE 2: Ben Chwick scored the eventual game-winner on assists from Jonathan Sdao and Nick Lanza with 8:11 left in the third period as the Mules (3-7) held on to edge the Vikings (5-4-1) at Waterville.
Sam Parker finished with 29 saves for the Mules to earn his second win in his second career start.
After a scoreless first period, the Mules raced out to a 2-0 lead in the second period on goals by Tommy Kader and Tyler Lingel.
MEN'S TOP 25 BASKETBALL
(1) DUKE 67, DAVIDSON 50: Ryan Kelly scored 18 points to help the Blue Devils (13-0) remain unbeaten, at Durham, N.C.
(4) LOUISVILLE 80, PROVIDENCE 62: Russ Smith scored a game-high 23 points and Louisville ran away from the Friars in the Big East Conference opener for both teams.
(7) SYRACUSE 78, RUTGERS 53: Jim Boeheim notched his 903rd career victory, breaking a tie with Bob Knight for second all-time among Division I coaches.
(8) OHIO STATE 70, NEBRASKA 44: Deshaun Thomas outscored Nebraska in the first half 18-17 and finished with 22 points to lead the Buckeyes.
PURDUE 68, (11) ILLINOIS 61: Terone Johnson scored a career-high 25 points and D.J. Byrd scored nine of his 15 during a pivotal 19-3 second-half run, sending the Boilermakers (7-6, 1-0 Big Ten) to a win over the Illini (13-2, 0-1).
(16) CREIGHTON 79, ILLINOIS ST. 72: .Junior forward Ethan Wragge was 6 of 9 from 3-point range for his 18 points to lead the Bluejays.
(17) BUTLER 70, PENN. 57: Roosevelt Jones scored a career-high 24 points to lead the Bulldogs to their eighth consecutive victory.
WOMEN'S TOP 25 BASKETBALL
(2) BAYLOR 74, TCU 35: Brittney Griner had 24 points and 12 rebounds to lead Baylor in the Big 12 opener for both teams.
(17) OKLAHOMA 71, WEST VIRGINIA 68: Aaryn Ellenberg scored 19 points, and the Sooners spoiled West Virginia's first game in the Big 12.