Sunday, May 19, 2013
From staff and news services
BRUNSWICK - Rob Toczylowski scored twice as Bowdoin beat Colby 3-1 Friday night at Watson Arena in the 199th men's hockey game between the schools.
Mikael Hopkins, right, of Georgetown knocks the ball away from Tennessee’s Quinton Chievous during Friday’s game in Washington. Georgetown, ranked 20th, escaped with a 37-36 win.
The Associated Press
Bowdoin (5-0-1, 2-0-1 NESCAC) extended its series lead to 104-87-8 against the Mules (1-5, 0-3) and has won six of the last seven meetings.
The teams will play for the 200th time Saturday night in Waterville.
Daniel Weiniger also scored for the Polar Bears, who led 2-0 after one period.
Nick Lanza scored for Colby in the second period.
BABSON 4, SOUTHERN MAINE 2: Connor Berto scored a pair of goals to lead the Beavers (3-2-2, 2-2-1 ECAC East) over the Huskies (4-3, 3-3) at Wellesley, Mass.
Berto snapped a 2-2 tie midway through the second period with his second goal, after USM erased a 2-0 deficit on goals by Lorne Miller and Mike Greene.
UMASS-BOSTON 4, UNE 3: Travis Daniel ripped home a shot from just inside the left circle with 1:28 left in overtime to give the Beacons (6-2-1, 2-2-1 ECAC East) a win over the Nor'easters (2-7, 1-5) in Boston.
Nick Kolb, Sean Sullivan and Ryan Quinn scored for the Nor'easters.
BOWDOIN 7, COLBY 0: Schuyler Nardell scored four goals to lead the Polar Bears (2-1, 1-0 NESCAC) over the Mules (2-3, 0-3) in Waterville.
Rachel Kennedy added two goals, Chelsea MacNeil also scored and Mallory Andrews had three assists.
SOUTHERN MAINE 5, NICHOLS 1: Cassandra Sherman scored twice, and the Huskies (2-2-2, 2-1-2 ECAC East) got three third-period goals to pull away from the Bison at Burrillville, R.I.
Sherman snapped a 1-1 tie at 7:26 of the second period and added her second goal at 9:53 of the third period for a 3-1 lead.
Erin Banfield contributed a short-handed goal and an assist.
FRANKLIN PIERCE 6, UNE 0: Samantha Scobee made 36 saves for the Nor'easters (0-4) in a loss to the Ravens (2-5) at Rindge, N.H.
BOSTON COLLEGE 7, MAINE 2: Haley Skarupa had three goals and three assists for the Eagles (9-3-1, 6-2-1 Hockey East) in a win over the Black Bears (2-9-1, 1-7) at Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Brittany Dougherty and Jennifer More scored for Maine, which trailed 3-2 after two periods.
COLBY 70, FISHER 63: Ryan Jann and Patrick Stewart each scored 12 points as the Mules (2-2) beat the Falcons (4-3) in Waterville.
Stewart's 3-pointer with 3:43 remaining broke a 55-55 tie and put Colby ahead for good. Connor O'Neil followed with another 3-pointer, then scored six points in an 8-0 run that made it 70-59.
(6) SYRACUSE 91, ARKANSAS 82: James Southerland made 9 of 13 3-pointers and scored a career-high 35 points to lead the Orange (5-0) over the Razorbacks (3-3) at Fayetteville, Ark.
(10) KANSAS 84, OREGON STATE 78: Ben McLemore scored 21 points, Travis Releford added 20 and the Jayhawks (6-1) held off the Beavers (4-2) at Kansas City, Mo.
(20) GEORGETOWN 37, TENNESSEE 36: The Hoyas (5-1) and Volunteers (4-2) held each other scoreless over the final four minutes in a display of abysmal shooting during the SEC/Big East Challenge at Washington.
No player scored in double figures.
(10) CALIFORNIA 63, OLD DOMINION 47: Layushia Clarendon scored 15 points and the Golden Bears (6-0) survived a sloppy road debut against the Monarchs (4-1).
(13) TEXAS 79, TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI 30: Nneka Enemkpali tied a school record with her fifth consecutive double-double, finishing with 11 points, 18 rebounds and three blocks for the Longhorns (5-0) at Austin, Texas.