Wednesday, June 19, 2013
The Associated Press
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Gorgui Dieng had 20 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks to help No. 8 Louisville earn a share of the Big East Conference title with a 73-57 victory over No. 24 Notre Dame on Saturday.
Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein, left, shoots as Florida’s Patric Young defends during Saturday’s Southeast Conference game in Lexington, Ky., won by Kentucky.
The Associated Press
Peyton Siva added 13 points in his final home game for the Cardinals (26-5, 14-4 Big East), who finished tied for first place with Georgetown and Marquette. Louisville receives a bye into Thursday's quarterfinals at the Big East tournament, where Coach Rick Pitino's team will defend its 2012 title.
Garrick Sherman led Notre Dame (23-8, 11-7) with 14 points. The Fighting Irish will next play Wednesday in the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden.
(1) GONZAGA 66, LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 48: Elias Harris had 21 points and eight rebounds to put the Bulldogs (30-2) in the West Coast Conference semifinals.
(3) DUKE 69, NORTH CAROLINA 53: Seth Curry hit his first seven shots, helping the Blue Devils (27-4, 14-4 ACC) jump to a big lead and beat rival North Carolina (22-9, 12-6) in Chapel Hill.
BAYLOR 81, (4) KANSAS 58: Pierre Jackson had 28 points and 10 assists as Baylor (18-13, 9-9 Big 12) kept the Jayhawks from the outright Big 12 regular-season title.
But even after its worst loss in seven years, Kansas (26-5, 14-4) will still be the No. 1 seed for next week's conference tournament.
(5) GEORGETOWN 61, (17) SYRACUSE 39: Georgetown emphatically ended its Big East rivalry against Syracuse, wrapping up the regular-season title by holding the Orange to the lowest-scoring output of their time in the conference.
Markel Starks scored 19 for the Hoyas (24-5, 14-4), who will be the No. 1 seed at the Big East tournament next week in New York.
Syracuse (23-8, 11-7), which had been hoping for a double-bye in the tourney, was led by Michael Carter-Williams' 17 points.
(6) MIAMI 62, CLEMSON 49: Clemson lacked the necessary firepower to pull off the role of spoiler.
The Tigers shot just 40 percent, sank only three 3-pointers and lost to host Miami, which clinched the Atlantic Coast Conference title outright on its third try.
Clemson (13-17, 5-13 ACC) endured its sixth straight loss.
KENTUCKY 61, (11) FLORIDA 57: The 11th-ranked Gators didn't score in the final 71/2 minutes and lost to host Kentucky in their regular-season finale.
Florida (24-6, 14-4 Southeastern Conference) scored with 7:36 left on Scottie Wilbekin's 3-pointer that turned out to be the team's final points. The Gators went 0 of 11 after that in coughing up the lead to Kentucky (21-10, 12-6).
AIR FORCE 89, (12) NEW MEXICO 88: Todd Fletcher hit a 3-pointer with 3.5 seconds remaining to give host Air Force (17-12, 8-8 Mountain West) an upset victory over the Lobos (26-5, 13-3).
(13) OKLAHOMA STATE 76, (9) KANSAS STATE 70: Le'Bryan Nash scored 24 points and the Cowboys (23-7, 13-5 Big 12) prevailed over the Wildcats (25-6, 14-4).
(15) MARQUETTE 69, ST. JOHN'S 67: The Golden Eagles won a share of the Big East regular-season title -- their first conference title since joining the Big East in 2005-06.
(16) SAINT LOUIS 78, LA SALLE 54: Dwayne Evans had 16 points and Saint Louis (24-6, 13-3 A-10) hit 17 of its 20 shots in a pull-away second half, clinching a share of the Atlantic 10.
(18) ARIZONA 73, ARIZONA ST. 58: Nick Johnson scored 17 points, Solomon Hill added 12 in his final home game and Arizona (24-6, 12-6 Pac-12) earned a first-round bye in next week's Pac-12 tournament.
Arizona State (20-11, 9-9) struggled with turnovers.
UTAH 72, (19) OREGON 62: Jason Washburn had 20 points, and Jarred DuBois added 15 points and several key baskets down the stretch to propel the host Utes (13-17, 5-13) past a ranked Pac-12 foe for the first time in league play.
E.J. Singler had 21 points to lead Oregon (23-8, 12-6).
(20) PITTSBURGH 81, DEPAUL 66: J.J. Moore hit a career-best five 3s and scored 21 points off the bench as the Panthers shot a school-record 72 percent in their last Big East regular-season game.
(23) UCLA 61, WASHINGTON 54: Shabazz Muhammad scored 21 points and the Bruins clinched the Pac-12 Conference regular-season title.
(25) MEMPHIS 86, UAB 71: Joe Jackson had 17 points to help Memphis complete an undefeated season in Conference USA (27-4, 16-10).
Jordan Swing led the Blazers (15-16, 7-9) with 19 points.